Kran 68 convertible mustang 302 Hawai’i

Krandolph

Mar 26, 2019
New member, 68 convertible mustang...Hawaii ...wanting to say hello to everyone & will be asking a tech later about my 302 engine...if anyone can help with it would be appreciated...
Looking for help solving an issue with my ford engine. I brought a 1968 Mustang thinking the engine was a 351 W. Got the car running but the wiring was not set up for any ford engine and the points were gapped at around 7 thousandth. After, I pulled it down to the timing chain to check alignment...marks were good but shaft off 180 degrees. Put back together tried to crank but no good ..later found out that it was a 302 engine with 351 heads. The harmonic balancer’s elastic was really busted up and bulging out in sections.
Knowing now,I have to wire it as a 302 engine and the condition of the three bolt pattern harmonic balancer I’m thinking it’s the wrong size balancer ...thinking this is the 28oz that came with the replaced heads and it should be 50oz for the 302 engine block.
Question: I have info off the block, because it falls right in with the time 1980-1981 harmonic balancer change I’m confused...can anyone tell me what size harmonic balancer to use ?
Info: Driver side towards back of block the Identification found(EOSE-A2(E)or(F) can’t really tell the last one
Info: Flat part drivers side back of engine block found(1K61544(1) can’t really tell the last one
Info: Counted the flywheel teeth (157)
Question: do I go with the block manufacturers date (1980)for the 28oz harmonic balancer or the installation date that starts with the (1)...1981) (50oz)thats on the flat part of the engine drivers side by fire wall?
These are about the most helpful things I could find, if there is somewhere else to check pls let me know.......you can also reach me outside this forum [email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome and Aloha my fellow Hawaii Mustang enthusiast .

Question: do I go with the block manufacturers date (1980)for the 28oz harmonic balancer or the installation date that starts with the (1)...1981) (50oz)thats on the flat part of the engine drivers side by fire wall?

Flat part drivers side back of engine block found(1K61544(1)
sounds like serial number? to match car serial number

Late 1980 early 81 ford changed to 50 oz imbalance with it they changed the firing order. I would judge by block number

Know that the flex plate/flywheel needs to be 28 or 50 to match also.

early Firing order 15436378 to late 13726548

fo: Driver side towards back of block the Identification found(EOSE-A2(E)or(F) can’t really tell the last one

E0SE = 1980 LTD block
all in all proable 28oz block

Hey post a picture of stang, the engine, your dog, something...

Reactions: 1 user