Lightweight Bracket car project...started!

jackchan

Oct 17, 2004
Mobile Alabama
Ok guys/gals,
The first thing I want to do if come up with a name for this project. At present I'm wanting to call it project lightweight. I'll be documenting this build from start to finish with a digital camera.............I have most of the drivetrain out of a 1990 GT, and over the coming months will be locating a 87-93 coupe, hatchback (4 cylinder or V-8 chassis), and stripping it down to the least weight as possible. Right now the engine will be Naturally aspirated (later to be DIY turbo'ed) but for now the engine will be 302 ci with a C-4 automatic for simplicity and reliability. (the trans will consist of a Dynamic C-4 with their convertor) I already have a winters reverse manual vb shifter and cable so I will be using it. The rear end will be the 1990 GT 8.8"'er (with prolly 4.10's or maybe 4.56's). Not only will this be a lightweight car but it also be built on one of the strickest budgets.....possible. So basically no fancy sm-ancy parts will go into this thing. I would however like to get it down to the least amount of rolling weight possible. (the less weight, the more consistant, the less parts breakage will occur, and the faster it will be initially!).

Right now the parts list consist of locating a chassis. The engine will be EFI mass air with a 9AL computer. There will be working lights, alt. brake lights, electric in tank fuel pump, but the rest will be gone! i.e. windsheild wipers, wiper motor, everything that isn't needed will be eliminated. The drivers compartment will conisist of only one seat the drivers seat. And since I have a lightweight round track racing seat avaible that is what I will be using.

Target weight for this project is 2200 lbs! Is it possible?? we will see!

Target horsepower NA 300 to the rear wheels.....
Target Horsepower Turboed .......around 450.

so follow alone and see what can be done, with hard work, a little knowledge and a lot's of smart people from the board here helping with info etc...
thanks
Jack

• Sponsors (?)

I see your point. I guess I'm just not into Carb's. There is serveral chassis dyno's locally. SO I'll prolly just get it tuned there if I need too. Other wise I may buy a tweecer and a lap top.

A buddy and I had the mikewesley software for dos about 7 years ago, but he's since moved off. SO I dont guess I'll be burning a chip myself unless I spring for the software again or go another route. I feel pretty comfortable tuning it myself (with right software) but that will all depend on if I have the proper tools to work with or not.

turbo is long ways off in the future at this point, so I'll worry about that bridge when I get there. Carb's ok fun but they will not adjust for humity,temp changes like the mass air efi will.
Jack

BaXTeR3221 said:
That was my point, if your trying to keep this simple, tuning a turbo efi set-up is not going to be cheap.

It is with a megasquirt

No mass-air meter. Use any injectors (turbocoupe 35lb stock injectors come to mind). Use any throttle body. etc etc etc.