Lots of heat from center floorboard....Trouble?

FireMedic90

Apr 2, 2005
Ok I'm hoping this is not a real problem, but this evening just on a normal trip to the store, I started feeling a lot of heat on my legs. I thought is was my imagination or the heater switched on, but when I got home I felt the "hump" for lack of a better term, under the shifter and both sides of it felt unusually hot even through the carpet.. Now I've never actually felt this area before, but the sudden heat on my legs drew my attention. I was able to feel a small area under the carpet and it was almost to hot to keep your hand on. It's dark out now so I can't really investigate it, but it's got me kind of worried. I'm planning on calling the dealer tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas? Nothing would suck more than having to call my buddies at the firehouse to put out the brand new kick*** mustang I've been bragging about!

Any help (as quickly as possible) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(Posting on multiple boards. Sorry if this is a repeat for anyone.)

• Sponsors (?)

Follow up:

Just went out and checked things out as best I could. Been parked for about 30 min. Opened the hood and things felt unusually hot. Even the hood prop was still very hot. Reached under and the exhaust pipes under the front seats are a bit warm but not hot enough to generate the heat I still feel. The bottom of the tranny is VERY hot. This can't be good...

Mines also an automatic and i've never experienced any heat as you are describing. I will check tomorrow morning on the way to work after the car is warmed up and post after work how it felt. It is possible the trans is low on fluid, but only the dealer can check it as there is no dip stick on the new automatics. Get it to the dealer right away and get them to check it....Good luck!

Don't worry...mine is the same way. I don't know how the others haven't noticed it.

Check the floor there under your carpet on the floorboard by the firewall - feel that thick padding?

Now, check the hump. Notice, no padding. - not the same type and thickness anyways.

We are simply getting heat intrusion into the cab from the firewall. Warms things up a bit but nothing serious IMO.

My dealership didn't do a damn thing about it.

My GT is a manual tranny.
Earl

Wow! I sure hope you're right. I just have to wonder why I haven't noticed it before. It was very pronounced and very sudden tonight.

This thing really has me worked up. Hopefully you're right and it's nothing.

Is the weather there warmer than it has been? I'm in Texas. I really only notice it when it gets hotter. I just turn on the AC and fugetaboutit. Though maybe next time its at the dealership (oh yeah, there's gonna be many next times) I'm going to try to make them insulate that hump better.

Earl

It was a bit warmer today than normal but nothing like it will be in August.

(August in South Florida = Blast Furnace)

I'd be surprised if it was weather related but you never know. With luck the dealer will find something definitive and repairable under waranty.

Just like you guys said.

Took it to the dealer and they said this is a normal heat buildup. Being there is no heat shield under there and the header pipes run through there that it may tend to get kinda hot. They even compared it to another one like mine and it did the same thing. So somehow I must have just been unaware of it until now. They said the tranny is fine and found no other trouble.

Now I feel better.

I can gaurantee you alot of people will notice it this summer! :)

I suspect a heatshield or insulation modification TSB will be out late summer or so timeframe as people in our climates where it will get over 100 degrees will definitely feel it.

But then, they knew about the screwed up heater vent air distribution last November and that still ain't fixed! :)

Oh well, I do love my car anways - pain in the butt black paint, Ford provided warts and all.

Earl

It was 75 gegrees here today and after the car was fully warmed up and driven for 30 minutes, I have no heat at all in the hump area. It is cool to the touch not even warm.

I never notice it when the temps are that low. Wait till it gets in the mid 80s to 90's and you've been driving it for an hour or two. You'll notice.

LilHog said:
It was 75 gegrees here today and after the car was fully warmed up and driven for 30 minutes, I have no heat at all in the hump area. It is cool to the touch not even warm.