Mac Equal Length Shorties

I was thinkin about pickin up a set of Mac Equal Length Shorty headers for the stang, and had a couple questions. Anybody have any problems with the individual flange design having exhaust leaks? Also, was there any noticeable SOTP gain, and any difference in sound? Also does the HTS coating prevent discoloring/rust?

• Sponsors (?)

Dan those are the headers I had on my car. Never had a leaking problem with mine, I used copper gaskets. The coating helps but I did have some surface rust on the headers after awhile. They didn't get really bad though because I don't drive in the rain, unless I get caught in it. I sold mine so I can get some ceramic coated ones for the new motor. Not sure but I may get BBK instead.

69clark said:
Dan those are the headers I had on my car. Never had a leaking problem with mine, I used copper gaskets. The coating helps but I did have some surface rust on the headers after awhile. They didn't get really bad though because I don't drive in the rain, unless I get caught in it. I sold mine so I can get some ceramic coated ones for the new motor. Not sure but I may get BBK instead.

I might see if I can free up some money for them then, mainly cuz it will be nice to know I have full exhaust, while also freein up a few hp and gettin a little different sound. They were only used for a few days until the owner went to LT's, and I can get them for about half price. What brand gaskets did you use? Also, are locking header bolts worth the money or should I just use regular ones?

I've had mine for about two years with no problems. I got mine for $200 shipped and they come with copper gaskets. I got them off ebay. I drive my car alot and in the rain at times and the rust is minimal. Most of my rust is from scratches from installing them. They are a PITA to install!

yellowclone said:
I've had mine for about two years with no problems. I got mine for $200 shipped and they come with copper gaskets. I got them off ebay. I drive my car alot and in the rain at times and the rust is minimal. Most of my rust is from scratches from installing them. They are a PITA to install!

How much of a PITA?

Passenger side was not that bad, maybe about an hour tops because I really took my time breaking loose the factory header bolts. The driver side took about three hours of cussing and scraping knuckles. I tried doing it the hard way though. I tried to remove as few things as possible and that made it harder. I think it would be alot easier with the upper intake off because that seemed to be in the way no matter which way I turned the header. I am sure that other people have done it easier, but I like to make everything as hard as possible LOL. My car was actually louder at idle with the factory headers :shrug: but has a better sound now.