more Challenger photos

• Sponsors (?)

I love it, way more than the Camaro and almost as much as the Mustang. Competition is almost always a good thing, maybe this will force Ford to put more thought into their Boss and Mach1 models that are supposedily in the pipeline.

Car & Driver has an article in their upcoming February issue and they are reporting it's freakin huge! 197.8 inches long--an inch longer than the 300C. 116 inch wheelbase (compared to 120 for the 300C and 107 for the new Mustang). And they're guessing around 4100 pounds. So this isn't really a pony car in my opinion (but then a lot of people didn't consider the original Challenger a pony car, either). It should have a useable back seat. In other words, it doesn't really compare directly to the Mustang. Compares more to the GTO IMO (which I guess is going away). Compared to the Mustang it's gonna be bigger, heavier, more expensive, more powerful, have IRS, a 6 speed, and is more practical if you have kids. You can bet dealer markups initially will be crazy, and by then Mustang GTs should be easily attained under MSRP, so the price difference should be significant.

What a bloated porker the Challenger is going to be!

From Feb 06 C&D;

length: 197.8" - 10" longer than a Mustang
width: 78.6" - 6.4" wider
height: 57.0" - 2.5" higher
Weight: 4,100 lb

And you thought the S197 Mustang was big and heavy.

351CJ said:
What a bloated porker the Challenger is going to be!

From Feb 06 C&D;

length: 197.8" - 10" longer than a Mustang
width: 78.6" - 6.4" wider
height: 57.0" - 2.5" higher
Weight: 4,100 lb

And you thought the S197 Mustang was big and heavy.

Yep, I posted that above. Definitely not a "pony" car. :p

66Satellite said:
Yep, I posted that above. Definitely not a "pony" car. :p

Ooops, I didn't see that post when I dug this thread back up.
Yea, just like the old days, when the Challenger & that version of the Barracuda were made from shortened Plymouth Satellite unibodies.

Sort of cools any entheusiam I had for the Challenger. The S197 Mustang is bigger & heavier than I want let allone a 4100 lb Challenger that's almost as big and heavy as a Crown Victoria.

Also estimated price $35K, which isn't all that bad if that's the Hemi version. A $35K, 425 HP Challenger would sure let the air out of the GT-500 pricing baloon.