More clutch problems!

Hi All,

So I while back I posted about my clutch squeaking but so far have not been able to nail down what it causing the irritating noise. :nonono:

To re-cap the issue is present most of the time when i press the peddle down I can hear a squeaking and feel the screech or scraping on the gear shift. But sometimes it's smooth as a babies butt.

It sound horrible :notnice:

I do not think its the TOB as the clutch is dead quite under operation when the peddle is not involved.

Any ideas would be great? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Still could be a throw out bearing. When you disengage the clutch is when it is at it's most functional but engaged it'll barely ride on the clutch fingers. What you are experiencing is a bearing that hasn't quite destroyed itself and meshes itself together every now and then when operated.

Still could be a throw out bearing.

Agreed.

When your foot is off the clutch pedal, the release bearing is not loaded. It's when the pedal is on the floor and the clutch released that the bearing is fully loaded and when it would make the most noise.

If the pedal feels bad or there is noise as the pedal is moving down, it may be the sleeve the release bearing rides on (mounted to the trans) has galled or is dry (no lube).

Thx for the replies :nice:

It makes the noise regardless if the engine is running or not so I don't know if that makes any difference to the theory?

So what I am hearing is it's time to pull the tranny out and swap the TOB and while its out stick a new clutch in?

My king cobra has about 60k on it now I guess.

What clutches are you guys running?

The noise is more pronounced when it is running? It could make noise with the engine off since it is mechanical and the bearing would be operated regardless but it would make more noise if it were running. I have a Spec stage 1 in my car but the King Cobra is a good clutch. If I swap mine again that is what I'll get.

The noise level is the same whether or not the engine is running which made me think it wasn't the TOB.

I feels like its scraping on something but then sometimes it feels supper smooth but only for a few pushes. So I guess the level of scrapping varies from nothing to quite loud. :rolleyes:

I had the gearbox TSB done by ford at around 20k and had the clutch put in then for just cost of parts.

I pulled the cover off the tranny and tried to get some L.grease in there on without hitting the clutch plate but it didn't help at all.

Thx!

The noise level is the same whether or not the engine is running which made me think it wasn't the TOB.

I feels like its scraping on something but then sometimes it feels supper smooth but only for a few pushes. So I guess the level of scrapping varies from nothing to quite loud. :rolleyes:

I had the gearbox TSB done by ford at around 20k and had the clutch put in then for just cost of parts.

I pulled the cover off the tranny and tried to get some L.grease in there on without hitting the clutch plate but it didn't help at all.

Thx!

Sounds like what I mentioned earlier: The sleeve the release bearing rides on sounds dry or galled. From a T-5 (TR3650 similar):

p103784_image_large.jpg

This part has to be smooth and greased at assembly or it will gall.

May be the clutch fork hitting the inspection cover. Look on the inside of the cover, if there are marks on the inside of the cover here is your problem. I had this on my 2002 w/ T-3650. Use a grinder on the end of the clutch fork for clearance.