Motor mounts

79dog

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2002
Sunny Fl.
Hey guys, been a while. Ready to get motor mounts. Anyone have exper. on buying these. 86 mustang GT conv., Advanced discount auto says FL 36.98, FR 31.88. Autozone say's 31.99 each, and in stock. Why is ad. disc. auto $5.00 more for the FL? Is there a difference in sets? Is there any questions I should ask them? Thanks..........79dog

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know about 4 eyed stuff, but for 87-93's, a common way to go is: autozone, anchor brand (IIRC), 2726 (pass), 2725 (dr). these are for a vert. when i looked for my 88 GT vert, these were what it listed. the same mount is now shown for 93's, even in HB form. ford realized the vert mounts were better at some point.

i think i paid about 50 bucks for two mounts and a trans mount from autozone. as i said, i dont know how much of that, if any, could apply to you.....just some info. good luck.

There is a pin that fits in a hole in the K mem. What is that pin for? My 79 don't have a hole for the mounts in the location that the 86 mounts have. Can I grind the pin off, or drill a hole in the K Mem for the pin to set in? Any ideas are welcome here. Thanks.......

I just got a passenger side at AutoZone for an 88 LX 5.0. It was 34.99 with a lifetime warranty. It was easy to change becasue we have a new motor to put in. If motor was in car, a real PITA. I got one at Advance Auto, was tightening it down, and the stud broke. Had to saw it off! :bang:

just guessing, i would think the pin is there to locate the mount (get it to stay in the right place. i think it would be a feel thing as to whether you should grind the pin off or drill the K member. i would grind the pin off myself, but im not lookin at it either. can you not get mounts for your year?

also, some of the mounts from the parts store come with a different thread on the stud, which may be what happened to GG..... but it is something to look for. mine bolted right up with the old nuts. good luck.

HISSIN50, I can get mounts for the 79 but, they look like crap next to the 86 mounts. Since my car only had 142 HP originally, the 79 mounts were O.K.
The engine is going to be producing much more now. Hence the need for better mounts. People recommended the 86 conv. mounts. I did find out that the K Members where diff. from 79-81 and 82 to 93. Dewey from RacerWalsh thought the 86 mounts would work with some mods. So I guess I'm modding. Time to break out the Die Grinder. :D

good luck. let us know how it goes (and thanks for the explanation. that makes great sense and i would be doing the same thing you are). good luck.