MSD Distributor Install Problems

Just to start off, My mechanical skills are in my opinion average. I've done some major installs (superchargers, engine swaps and rebuilds, rear end swaps, tranny swaps, etc...) but have not done everything there is to do yet. Well, I tried installing my MSD Pro Billet Distributor a few days ago and ran into a little problem. I was rushing it and pulled all the existing stuff off before really reading the instructions. Big mistake considering I've never done it before. Well, when I go to put the new distributor in, it does not slide in all the way. I am literally about a 1/2" or so for the new dizzy to completely engage, but it does not go all the way down. I have tried a few tricks, like bump starting the engine over to see if the gears would catch but that did not work.
Here are some pics of my current situation:
IMG_2172_SMALL.JPG

I've been able to get it a bit further in, but not much more than this
IMG_2171_SMALL.JPG
Here is a pic of where I am trying to slide it into. Every thing look ok to you guys?
IMG_2175_SMALL.JPG

Some extra info. I bought the dizzy from a guy with a 289 that was upgrading to a 351 (ebay). Also, I can't get my stock one back in. At this point, I am starting to wonder if the oil pump shaft got misaligned somehow and it isn't mating in anymore...if that makes any sense to you guys.

I'm not 100% sure of what I should do next. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Los Angeles area, so if anyone local has had this problem, please chime in. I appreciate you guys taking some time to look at my issue and help me out.

-Edgar

• Sponsors (?)

I've run into that problem before - I VERY SLIGHTLY rotated the engine a degree or two with a socket on the balancer bolt and it allowed the distributor to mesh with the cam and slide in. I also dropped some grease on the gears as well to help them slide in.

I've seen some people jack up the car to get the oil pump driveshaft centered up. I've never had to do that, however.

Good luck!

Wes

The pump shaft is not going into the distributer. Try turning the rotor a bit. It doesn't matter were it 's pointing, just set your plug wires to line up. If you want to keep the wires in place use a primer shaft to turn the pump a bit. About ten bucks at most auto shops. IMHO I would use some anti seize on the the area that your distributer contacts the block to help the two from glueing together.

Agreed, your oil pump shaft isn't lining up. If you have a 1/4" socket you can tape it to an extension to give it a little turn until the distributor drops into place. I use duct tape just to ensure the socket doesn't fall off the extension.

Likely the oil shaft as others posted, but before you try again just verify that the distributor gear has the same O.D. as the old one. Since you got it from "some guy", it could be from a 351C or 385 BB series, in which case the housing is the same but the gear is different. Just one more thing to check.

Likely the oil shaft as others posted, but before you try again just verify that the distributor gear has the same O.D. as the old one. Since you got it from "some guy", it could be from a 351C or 385 BB series, in which case the housing is the same but the gear is different. Just one more thing to check.

Good advice, never hurts to double check that stuff. Like others have said, this is a common problem. Try install the distributor while you are rotating the engine. This is a lot easier with 2 people.

One question for you. Are you sure you are puting the rotor in at the correct rotation ? Did you match it against the position of the old distributor ? You can't just drop it in at any spot and expect it to work. If you are trying to do that then you are going to need to set the engine to TDC for the compression stroke and drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug wire on the cap.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. After putting in the 1/4" socket and rotating the shaft, I dropped the MSD Distributor in and put a few turns on the crank and it dropped right in. I will post pictures when I have the wiring all straightened out, but my friend and I had it all tuned up and it runs great now. Thanks again for all the help.
-Edgar