Progress Thread My 79 Coupe Is Alive.

I didn't use any actual plans. I worked from pictures of similar DIY tools that are sold for home or track use. The caster camber gauge I wanted to be able to have it actually attach to the wheel as opposed to the type that have to be held in place. I was able to machine the mount studs myself having a lathe and mill. The actual gauge on it is a digital angle gauge that I all ready had for woodworking machines. For the bump steer gauge, I copied the Maximum Motorsports one. I just went by pictures and the downloadable instructions and figured out what I needed to build. The dial indicator was also all ready in my toolbox and the clamp pieces milled from aluminum bar I had on hand. The turn plates are just a 1/4" steel plate on a wood base with a piece of HDPE plastic to reduce friction. I did finish them up with a center pivot and markings for the degrees.

Of all of this, the only items that were actually purchased for the tools were the steel plates, everything else came from my on hand materials so my full investment in this is minimal. If you were to go and buy all the items and materials it might be just as easy and affordable to purchase some of the ready made tools.

• Sponsors (?)

Its been a bit, but I finally was able to move the car over off the lift to work on the final setup. Got it all dialed in now, or at least well enough for the first bit of street driving and trials. Once I decide to get out on a a track or into autocross, I'll revisit the settings for a little more aggressive set up and refine thing a bit more.

Final weight ended up over where I had hoped to be at 3220 lbs. The balance is pretty decent though at 53/47 front to rear and 49/51 right to left with driver. If I had kept it as a true race car, it would easily have met the weight target, but I really like the way it has come out.

2018-04-12 15.53.55.jpg

Just need to reconnect the sway bars and check and tighten everything. Also need to get the brake ducting hoses installed up front. After that, it's ready to go.

Reactions: 5 users
Of all the builds here, Your car and Hoysters are my Favorite. The work you have done, and all of the little detail things have made this car a "one in a million" build. It just looks so well put together, The paint work is so flawless, it looks like it is injection molded plastic.
Big thumbs up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been a bit lax at posting updates here. I had the car out for a few drives now and getting the tune sorted so its running pretty good. Had some paint protection film applied to the front end and lowers to protect it from rock chips and such.

2018-05-14 13.18.40_resize.jpg

Yesterday the local Mustang club had its annual show and shine and I had her out for her first official show.

2018-06-16 11.21.33_resize.jpg

Just over a hundred cars officially entered for the day, only a handful of foxes. At the end of it all I came homw with two awards, Most Modified car and one of the Top Ten cars awards which include a $100 gift card.

2018-06-16 14.43.11_resize.jpg

It got a bit rainy at the end of the show and had a wet drive home, so today was wash and polish day. Got it cleaned up top and bottom and tucked away under cover again. Then I hung the plaques on the wall in the garage where it parks.

Reactions: 7 users
Had her out again last weekend for what might well be the last drive of the year. Added another 200 kms to the clock for a total of 1220 this year. Its running quite well, no issues or problems other than some minor tuning to the EFI. I have a few items on my list for the winter to work on, mostly detail items, but I do plan to swap the rear gears to a lower ratio from the 3.08s in it. The engine does not like to lug and the revs are too low to bother with 5th below 110 km/h.

P1020097_resize.JPG

Reactions: 6 users