My DIY turbo kit is underway...PICS!!!...AGAIN!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I got it running!!!
I've never felt any vehicle that had such a constant pull. :hail2:

I set the timing to 18* advanced with the spout out. I bumped the idle up a little bit as It was surging down past 500 rpms and stalling. My Idle now is pretty steady at about 850 rpm.

I must say, this bitch runs like a raped ape. I've got 8 lbs of boost currently. The wastegates are not adjustable, so I figure my intercooler is doing it's job.

I am loosing a bit of coolant. I doubt I have a head gasket problem, as I have no symptoms. I dont have an overflow currently, so I may be dumping some out inadvertantly. Until I figure out my coolant situation, Im going to resist the urge to up the boost.

I'm trying to get ahold of a friend with a video camera...so hopefully by mid week (he wants to play with the effects) I'll have something to show. :nice:

UPDATE

Well...seeing as I couldnt get the heads to stop lifting under boost, I decided to update the combo a bit.

I went ahead and threw on some trick flow twisted wedge track heat heads with 1.7 rr's. I replaced the exploder cam with a f303 unit. Head studs were a must as were the valve covers. I went ahead and double wrapped the downpipes with header wrap. I'll be picking up some turbo blankets from ptk as soon as the get some more in stock. I have a megasquirt on the way along with a lc-1 wideband controller and a x-16 gauge.

Anyways, on to the pics.

Not the best shot of the intercooler...and I'd like to have much more exposed, but for now it's been sufficient (I think).
site1078.jpg

site1079.jpg

site1080.jpg

Here you can see how I routed my plug wires. The far back drivers side wire is routed up the firewall and under the upper intake. It just worked out best that way.
site1081.jpg

I purchased this because I no longer need my pro-m univer maf with the megasquirt...yet still dont have a bov. This will convienently fit into the same location and allow me to run my tial 50mm knockoff bov.
site1082.jpg

Lastly I have my a-pillar mount. I'll have my x-16 wideband gauge, the cobalt boost gauge and a cobalt water temp gauge.
site1084.jpg

Well...here are a couple more pics.

I finally recieved my bov...as mentioned before a tial knockoff.

site1086.JPG

And...here are a couple of crude pics of my gauges. Again, mentioned before to be autometer cobalt h20 temperature, boost and my innovative x-16 afr.

site1075.JPG

Aliate X said:
How much did everything cost you in the end? Im gonna try to do a cheap turbo kit.

Hmmm...I guess it depends on what you want to include. The inital complete build was ~ $1700. Now you could easily shed a few hundred by skipping the intercooler and going with cheaping couplings and clamps (the silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps arent cheap).

Another engine shot. It's a bit more tidy...although not really cleaner. I've added some t3 turbine blankets and revised the manner in which I'm evacuating the cranckcase. Out are the breathers and in are some epoxied soda can baffles, valve cover pcv valves, oil seperator, some moroso ultra 40 wires and a bit of heat shielding hear and there.

site1090.jpg