Need more bass... new speakers or add a sub?

Ive got the stock mach 460 system running off a new alpine head unit, and it sounds fairly good. The mach 460 speakers are doing a good job, but what Im looking for is some more low end/ bass and Im not looking to spend a whole lot. Im wondering.. am I better off attaching a subwoofer to my current setup, or replacing the speakers to some more bass-oriented speakers? Im not too familiar with my options for audio

• Sponsors (?)

With the top up, the only thing really seperating the cabin from the trunk is a black sheet of vinyl and a thin plastic wall. So with the top up the bass sounds very loud and clear from the trunk. When the top is down, you now have the folded top acting as a barrier from the trunk so the bass is not nearly as loud of course. I run a sub off a line out tapped into the rear Mach 460 wiring with no problems.

Top up or down, a sub does enhance the bass presence.

Agreed, If it's bass your looking for, then it's a sub you need. 5X7's will never give you the low end that a sub will.
2badstangs-albums-stangs-picture477-lot-extra-audio-department.jpg

If your Alpine has Subwoofer RCA outputs, you are golden. I would run an extra amp and subwoofer. One good 12 will do the job.

With a seperate sub rca output, you can raise or lower the subwoofer output depending on top up or down. Raising or lowering wont affect the other speakers. just the sub.