Need To Replace Engine: 2001 4.6

DiminishedMustang

Dec 3, 2012
Sup everyone! I'm looking for some info regarding engine replacement in one of these cars. As of now, I'm deciding how to attack this project, or whether I should even attempt at all. The engine in this car is knocking and the oil has metal particles in it. Therefore I'm convinced it needs another engine. I'm not new to pulling engines, but I'm new to Mustangs.

I'd appreciate any info from anyone who has gone through with the engine removal procedure. Thanks, and here's a pic of what I'm working with:

View attachment 138592

• Sponsors (?)

Might have gotten more input if you took the time to explain your goals. It makes a difference if you want to replace with another stock motor or looking to upgrade.

Often you get back what you put into something.

If looking for a cost affordable option, consider a salvage yard motor. Check car-part.com for sample prices.

Many members (including myself) have also used replacement motors from "Panther" cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis?Town car). There are tons of threads about the swaps on the forums. Have you searched any of them?

As for the engine removal procedures, I used the step by step in the Ford service manuals. The information is accurate and complete. It also includes pictures and diagrams.

What, you didn't get the response you wanted in 20 hours, so you threw a fit and left? Get a life.

Engine removal is straight forward and should be doable with standard tools. some say they can remove the engine in just under 2hrs, but that is with practice. You should be able to finish the job with a good weekend of work. The engine doesn't have to come out the bottom or anything odd like that, so a lift isn't required and the job can be done as a shade tree mechanic.

I would second using a used engine. Ford built them right and to last. Rebuilding yourself or buying a rebuilt will cost more and may have durability issues.

Might have gotten more input if you took the time to explain your goals. It makes a difference if you want to replace with another stock motor or looking to upgrade.

Often you get back what you put into something.

If looking for a cost affordable option, consider a salvage yard motor. Check car-part.com for sample prices.

Many members (including myself) have also used replacement motors from "Panther" cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis?Town car). There are tons of threads about the swaps on the forums. Have you searched any of them?

As for the engine removal procedures, I used the step by step in the Ford service manuals. The information is accurate and complete. It also includes pictures and diagrams.
I'm not too keen on any of the internet Mustang lingo like "Panther" car or anything like that.

And yes, I was planning on going with a used engine, so thanks for letting me know that 4.6 liters from other cars (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) will work.

I think that I would have been able to do a better search of older threads if I knew about slang names you have for cars and engines. For example, I have never heard of a SN95 Mustang until finding this forum.

I'll check that website you suggested for a used engine, and I'll have a look through Ebay for a Ford service manual like you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply.

What, you didn't get the response you wanted in 20 hours, so you threw a fit and left? Get a life.

Engine removal is straight forward and should be doable with standard tools. some say they can remove the engine in just under 2hrs, but that is with practice. You should be able to finish the job with a good weekend of work. The engine doesn't have to come out the bottom or anything odd like that, so a lift isn't required and the job can be done as a shade tree mechanic.

I would second using a used engine. Ford built them right and to last. Rebuilding yourself or buying a rebuilt will cost more and may have durability issues.
Yeah man, sometimes you just gotta speak up in life.

It's good to hear that it's a straight forward job. I was sort of bummed out when I saw threads saying "drop it out of the bottom," or "you need and lift," and stuff like that. So the possibility of pulling it from the top with basic tools is what I was hoping to have confirmed.

Honestly, I just want to get this car back on the road ASAP so rebuilding this engine was the last thing I wanted to do. This engine ran out of oil and cashed in at 170k, and it ran great up until then so I know these engines go for a long time with proper car. I've found a couple on Craigslist with less than 100k.

I'll probably tackle this job in the next couple of weekends when I have some free time.

Thanks for the reply.

You're not striking me as a very patient person....so doing an engine swap might not be for you.

....if on the other hand you're able to keep your pants on, your best choice for a used engine is going to be out of an '02-'05 Ford Explorer. It's a PI engine and direct replacement for your current one. And best of all, it sports an aluminum block, so you get the added benefit of weight savings. Not to mention because it doesn't say "Mustang" on it anyplace, you're not going to pay top dollar for one at the wrecker. Winning, all the way around. :nice:

You're not striking me as a very patient person....so doing an engine swap might not be for you.

....if on the other hand you're able to keep your pants on, your best choice for a used engine is going to be out of an '02-'05 Ford Explorer. It's a PI engine and direct replacement for your current one. And best of all, it sports an aluminum block, so you get the added benefit of weight savings. Not to mention because it doesn't say "Mustang" on it anyplace, you're not going to pay top dollar for one at the wrecker. Winning, all the way around. :nice:
Hmmm....an all aluminum Explorer engine. Sounds exotic, and like a decent option.

You say it's a direct replacement, so does that mean the intake/exhaust manifolds, along with the accesories will be the same? Or will I need to swap some of them over from the old engine? I'm sure I'd be able to tell if I saw the engines in real life, but I just went onto Ebay to search for said engine, and there's a huge plastic shield covering it, so I couldn't see anything. I mean, I guess it would even be nice to get a longblock and swap everything from my other engine over to save $$. I've also heard of hood clearance issues when the intake manilfold is too tall, so swapping over my old stuff would eliminate that? Or maybe it's not even an issue.