New Drivetrain For My 66 F/b

Geoff Nilson

Oct 29, 2017
Thursday I scored a 5.0 roller cam shortblock with a set of GT40 heads that were redone with Manly SS valves, springs and what appears to be a significant port/polish job. I do not know if the heads were milled. I also got a T5 as part of the deal and a nice engine stand thrown in, all for $360. I tore down the shortblock yesterday and it looks serviceable so I will drop it off to get cleaned and magnafluxed next week. I know next to nothing about the T5 and was wondering if there are any rebuild kits that offer better than stock parts. Is there anything I should replace to make it stronger. My goal is 300 hp at the wheels and I am concerned that the trans will not last. Any suggestions or comments?

I am planning on putting this combo with a modest street cam in my 66 Fastback. What problems can I expect with regards crossmember issues and engine mounts?

TIA

Geoff

• Sponsors (?)

you will need a T5 cross member. you can get it from a number of sources that sell mustang parts since the T5 swap is a common one. you will also use a T5 trans mount with the cross member.