new dyno numbers

HO5POINTO1990

Aug 12, 2003
San Jose
I just added the whole trick flow kit that goes for 2300 in most auto parts magazines, and I have full exhaust from the headers back with 30 Lb injectors, 70MM TB, 76MM MAF, and my numbers were 272 to the wheels... Has anyone used this kit and have gotten similar dissapointing numbers? I know I have not gotten it fully tuned at a shop, but I have an aftermarket CHIP by Powerdyne or something that I got from jegs.com for 240 and people are telling me I can get 30HP if i get it professionally tuned ????!!!

Just to let you know it comes with the stage one cam, trickflow heads, new rockers and upper and lower intakes. What should i be doing differently?

i'll copy the numbers and show you all tomorrow. but the hp peaked at 5700 rpms

• Sponsors (?)

Injectors are fine and are NOT hurting power in any way shape or form :)

What IS hurting you is this
but I have an aftermarket CHIP by Powerdyne or something that I got from jegs.com for 240

Remove the chip, disconnect the battery for an hour or so, set the fuel pressure to 40psi vacuum off, set the timing to 18* and go have fun and thank me for getting you 300rwhp :)

I had that combo years ago and I did 303hp/339 tq with stock eec. I tuned it by myself at the track. I had the street kit and peaked around 5,400 rpm. Went a best of 12.80 @ 107.

Grn92LX said:
Injectors are fine and are NOT hurting power in any way shape or form :)

What IS hurting you is this

Remove the chip, disconnect the battery for an hour or so, set the fuel pressure to 40psi vacuum off, set the timing to 18* and go have fun and thank me for getting you 300rwhp :)

I had that combo years ago and I did 303hp/339 tq with stock eec. I tuned it by myself at the track. I had the street kit and peaked around 5,400 rpm. Went a best of 12.80 @ 107.

24# injectors wouldnt of been a better choice for the setup he is using?

I agree....The injectors are not the problems. Even if it was running a lil rich? An adj. Fuel Pressure Reg. would fix that problem. I know, as I too run 30#ers with the C&L 76mm MAF. I think your car should be making atleast 300-320 @ wheels & TQ over 360? I don't have your complete setup. But I would yank the chip (if I could not have it reprogramed) & adjust the car with fuel pressure & timing? Still those #s are pretty good. Esp if the car has tons of miles. What were the Tq #s? Reason I ask is: I am running a setup pretty close to yours. Except I am using The Ford Racing pieces. ......Regards.....Wayne H.

HO5POINTO1990 said:
you're saying adding 100+ hp i go to 24lb injectors? that doesn't really make sense when i added a new cam, heads, and intakes....???? i looked it up people said i could have gone bigger

I think what Bently was trying to say is that you did not need 30 lb injectors for that HP range. 300 Hp can be supported by 19s.

That aside, I agree that the 30 lbers should not be hurting you if your MAF is properly calibrated to use those injectors.

Off the shelf performance chips though... It's like buying beach front property in Florida from a guy in a leisure suit.

the kit directed that i would get about 350 to the drivetrain and others have gotten around 300-310 to the wheels. It is calibrated for the MAF... My torque was quite low with my cam. the highest it went was 270tq at 4454rpms. I think it had to do with the stage one cam i put in there. it is really made for more top end and I lost a lot of bottom end. :shrug:

ok now that I have the time i'll list the engine mods:
Trick flow twisted wedge heads
Trick Flow cam Stage one
New 1.6 rockers
Upper and lower trick flow intake manifold
70 mm tb
76mm maf
30lb injectors
14º Timing
1 5/8 shorty Headmen headers
2 1/2 x pipe
2 1/2 Flowmaster american thunder
Aftermarket chip
3G Alternator 130amps
NO BOTTOM END DONE AT ALL

That is just for the motor. I have the 3.55:1 gears, KYB around, Short throw etc.
The problem I am having with my numbers is that my TORQUE is REAL low, and my HP is a little low too.
I didn't put the fuel pressure regulator in there right away because when I tested it, it was at 39-40 lbs with the fuel pressure tester.

WHAT OTHER MODS SHOULD I ADD TO GET TO 300HP to the ground? Am I forgetting something? That was my original goal, and now I think I might just sell it and forget about it. I am tight on money otherwise I'd add a blower....:nonono:

You cant compensate for too big of injectors by dropping the fuel pressure. Messing with the fuel pressure is not as simple as you may think. The computer will just adjust injector pulsewidth and duration to compensate for added/removed pressure. 30# are a little too big...as someone else mentioned even the stock 19's will support 300 horse. 24's would be a little better...also what kind of MAF do u have? 76mm sounds like C&L and that could be part of your problem. I would say that you are also having some issues with the Chip?! how was that chip setup? the torque does sound a little low...how many miles on the stock short block?

well according to all the mags i read, the 19lb injectors are only good for 300 to the flywheel, and the 24lb are good up to 370, but i wanted to go a little bigger just in case i added a 6-9lb blower down the road (which i can't afford anymore). The kit states 350hp to the flywheel and 370tq. I think I am going to do a little adjusting the timing to find where it will actually ping and drop it down a few. The chip was just a piggy back chip for the stock a7e or whatever the abrev. is for it. It's the stock computer and the car has 107k miles exactly on it. Anyone know a reputable place to get it professionally tuned in person near the SAN JOSE CA area?

30's are fine as I stated, they are NOT hurting you at all! Listen to people with experience please!

Remove the chip you have, that IS hurting you. Also try bumping your timing to 18* after you pull the chip. Been there done that ;) I gained over a full mph at the track with that combo going from 14-18* timing.

The stg 1 cam is far from a top end cam lol.

I made over 300rwhp with that combo on stock eec like I said. Follow what i'm telling you and you'll make the power too.

Also, are you using the right spark plugs? autolite 3924's are what you need.