New Intake Gaskets, Now smoke out the tail pipes, WTF!

larrym1961

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Idaho Falls Id
Well I replaced my phoney Fel Pro 1250 intake gaskets with the steel core Fel Pro MS93334's. Did the jrichker procedure for sealing them, started car, seems to idle and run good, AEM Wideband shows 13:6 to 14:7 @ idle now instead of the 18:1 + I was getting.
Now only one problem, it's blowing smoke through the tail pipes and this has never happened before! Is it possible the new gaskets are not sealing properly and it is sucking oil in through the intake now?

• Sponsors (?)

By your post I'm guessing the smoke is dark colored since you aluded to oil being sucked in. I had an issue getting my 1250's to seal last month. I was sucking coolant into the end runners and blowing steam and dripping water out the tailpipe. I redid the intake gaskets, still using 1250's, and still had water and steam. On the advise of a friend who has lots more mechanical experience, I took the car out for a 15 minute ride.

Turns out the steam and water from the second go around was left overs in my mufflers and pipes. A good warm ride blew it all out. No problems so far. Just something to try, that is if it is coolant and not oil. I would think it would be hard to suck oil into the runners from an intake gasket leak...but maybe not.

Check the pcv valve and hose, maybe its sucking oil that built up in the hose and pcv valve from having the leaking old gaskets and poor vacuum, now that you have better gaskets and stronger vacuum its sucking the old oil into the intake and burning it.

That was in the back of my mind! I also moved the PVC valve from the back of the intake to the valve cover, I thought maby it was possibly pulling oil through there and that was the first thing I noticed how much vaccume it is pulling now when I pulled the hose! So the Intake may have a bit of oil and coolant in it from the bad gaskets so I'll give it some time to pull thru and burn out. Thanks, and once again I'll never use another 1250.

Incidently I did see oil in a couple other vaccume hoses on the Intake when I pulled it.

By your post I'm guessing the smoke is dark colored since you aluded to oil being sucked in. I had an issue getting my 1250's to seal last month. I was sucking coolant into the end runners and blowing steam and dripping water out the tailpipe. I redid the intake gaskets, still using 1250's, and still had water and steam. On the advise of a friend who has lots more mechanical experience, I took the car out for a 15 minute ride.

Turns out the steam and water from the second go around was left overs in my mufflers and pipes. A good warm ride blew it all out. No problems so far. Just something to try, that is if it is coolant and not oil. I would think it would be hard to suck oil into the runners from an intake gasket leak...but maybe not.

My 1250's sealed great when I installed them, the problem I had, and this happened twice, they melted, distorted then tore, so I had a vaccume leak in several places and leaking coolant too. I have an earlier tread, Vaccume leak, Failed Intake gaskets, check it out and the pictures I posted of them. That has happened twice in two years. So possibly the intake has coolant and oil in it and it is being pulled thru now so I'll drive it a bit like you suggested and see if it clears up! But it sure seems to idle and run good though and the A/F ratio is where it should be now @ idle.

Well I may have found my problem! I moved the PVC valve from the back of the intake to the valve cover. Well the valve covers I have are Trick Flow and they have no baffles on the inside of the cover, or no provisions for them. So I am sure I am litterly sucking the oil right off of the rocker arms thru the PVC and into the intake! I pulled a vaccume line today after driving the car around and it was full of oil, my 8000 mile motor was smoking like I had 608000 miles on it.:notnice:

So either I'll put the PVC to the back of the lower intake again or get differant Valve covers with baffles and see what that gets me.:nonono:

moroso sells a pcv grommet/baffle #68772 for a 1.22" valve cover pcv hole, its for valve covers without pcv baffles,it uses gm pcv valves,3 bucks at summit racing. I have seen other pcv grommet/baffles at autozone and advance auto.

I called Summit Racing Tech, he gave me the Moroso part # for that baffle I need, so thanks for the info! I'll check Autozone today for one.

I cleaned out vaccume lines, all full of oil and pulled PVC hose and plugged it then took car for a drive and no more smoke! so that was the culprit. I guess my gasket swap was a success after all! So I did learn a lesson here, don't run a PVC without a baffle.

The only smoke I am getting now is from the tires!