new to 2.3 turbo and fuel injection...need some help

seefour

Sep 28, 2006
I have recently purchased a pinto "1980" with a turbo 2.3 out of a thunderbird. The prevcious owner has done alot to the car and had it running 12.80's . Right before he sold it he installed a Haltech F10X injection controller and pulled out the stock computer, Now I have to lock out the timming and tune the injection with a wide band O2 sensor. I called racer walsh and they shot me a general guideline about the timming "lock it out at 18 degrees ans read the plug like a nitrous plug(heat strap coloration and peppering if detonation. He told me that the motor with 20 lbs boost would respond between 18 and 23 degrees and to start at 18 and work from there.
let me list some details about the car
65 mm throttle body, 42 lb injectors, T04/03 trubo 70 ar cold 63 ar hot ,
stinger header, 1 5/8 's 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, innovate wide band 02
stock 2.3 out of a thunderbird . walbro 255 pump 8 an line from sump to regulator, fuel pressure running 40 lbs. T-5 trans, 4.10 gears, 26 x 8.5 et drag slicks svo front mount intercoller air to air.
Ive read the haltech manual several times and understand most of it. the timming as a base im not sure of. I plan to take the car to a shop with a chassis dyno and have someone tune it thats more familiar with the haltech system. Ive free reved it up to 4000 rpm and adjusted a/f using the wide band 12.9-11.0 trying to keep it 11.0-11.5 kinda rich but not to hurt anything. with the larger turbo I dont know about the boost max , say 15 lbs? or 20? I have heard that the head gaskets go about 20 lbs ?
Being new to all this I would appreciate any suggestions and help.
I have considered a MSD boost retard and maybe a new MSD distributor with a mechanical curve in it but before I spend the money I would like to know if i can atleast run it with the timming locked out? at what degree? and adjust part thrott;le alittle lean because of the lack of timming. I plan to drive it alittle on the street and let my little sister bracket race it 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

thanks so much
david

• Sponsors (?)