Newbie questions about '85 models

JZieran

Jun 14, 2004
Walden,NY
Hi everybody, I just bought an '85 5.0 LX Notchback with the TBI injection and AOD trans. The car already has long tubes, x-pipe, no cats and 2 1/2" flowmasters on it. I want to convert it to a carb. I have some questions about this swap.

1.) Fuel pump: It is my understanding that the TBI system runs about 12-16psi, carbs need 6-7psi, so can I use an adjustable regulator to turn down the pressure to the carb level? If not do I need a electric pump with less pressure, or is there a provision for a mechanical pump?

2.) Distributor: Will I be able to use the stock distrubutor for awhile until I can upgrade the ignition? If not does anybody have any recomendations as to which unit would be a good basic starting point?

3.) Are the '85 motors roller cammed and forged piston like the later ones?

4.) How much power can the AOD and 7.5" take before I have to worry about breakage?

My goal for this car is 11.80-11.60's on a 125 shot. A .60 over 302 shortblock with hyper flattops, nodular crank, good rods and bolts, with hv oil pump and windage tray came with the car so any advice on the carb conversion or motor buildup are appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Yes your car should be roller cam and forged pistons stock the autos have 180hp as opposed to the carbed 210hp. There should be a spot for the mechanical fuel pump by the oil filter right in front of it.....on my stock motor anyway. As for the rearend opinions vary but I would advise getting a 8.8 asap as you know they are much stronger than the others and will take the extra power and last longer but the 7.5 should last a while if not abused all the time. The tranny I cannot say, I prefer stick.