Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Didya try taking them loose from the other end?
Glad you are making progress buddy

No, because they are riveted to the floor with tabs that are permanent parts of the cables. Not gonna go drilling that type of stuff out and having to put it back. Its working out ok where it is. Im not a shop doing a nut and bolt restoration.

• Sponsors (?)

I swear I've seen people use a ball joint press to remove and install bushings before? Local parts store might have one that would fit the bill.

I considered seeing what the stores had to offer, but it wasnt that bad. I have a socket big enough to use to tap the new ones in. Not too worried about that part. (Famous last words, I know)

No, because they are riveted to the floor with tabs that are permanent parts of the cables. Not gonna go drilling that type of stuff out and having to put it back. Its working out ok where it is. Im not a shop doing a nut and bolt restoration.
Yeah I just meant unclip the cables from the T and release the locks so the cables stay attatched to the brakes
DF5B5BE0-155B-49A4-84FB-47A7A19DAB6D.jpeg

In case you are wondering, I couldnt get my E-brake cables disconnected without taking the whole drum setup apart on each side. F that noise, Ive been working on it on jackstands still under the car. Not ideal, but its coming along.

yeah so stupid you have to disassemble each drum completely to get to the ebrake. I just went through this myself

Small progress is being made. Man, I wish aftermarket companies would sometimes do some QC to save their idiot customers from themselves. I set the diff cover on my freshly squeezed out RTV, start going around snugging the bolts only to realize the right side isnt quite squishing all the way down. The bearing cap load bolt was set too far in, and I totally spaced off being sure it was backed all the way out. It was so tight I couldnt back it off without loosening the cover bolts...So to be sure I hadnt hurt anything, I pulled the cover back off to inspect. All looks fine, but I managed to get fresh RTV all over hell and creation somehow. So consider my day starting off slightly on the wrong foot. The good news, Im going from this:

20161210_161544_zpsdqc5r4oh.jpg

To this (bad pic, I know):

20180623_102621.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Didnt get nearly as much done as I had hoped today, but that was due to having to run around town for new control arm bolts. I was too dumb to just buy them from LMR with the control arms... Turns out 12mmX1.75 in 4" length just happened to be out of stock at all my usual places. 2", 3", 5" length no problem, just no 4", bunch of empty bins... I was pissed. But the rear is all painted and hung, finally. Eibach pro kit springs, Prothane isolators, Koni non adjustable shocks, BMR adjustable uppers, new Ford rubber upper bushings, Maximum Motorsports HD lowers, J&M braided rear brake line, Scott Drake diff cover. Rear sway bar still needs paint, just sticking with the stock one.

20180623_175129-1.jpg

Yes, I have red upper control arms. Black was out of stock, and once its on the ground they are hidden. Havent set pinion angle yet.

20180623_183743.jpg

Those Koni shocks match my orange stripe around the car. Gives me a strangely satisfied feeling. (Mike, the wheel wells will be cleaned and painted, dont you worry)

20180623_184738-1.jpg

I also replaced my leaking output shaft seal on the transmission while the driveshaft was off, but did not take a picture of that.

Thats all for tonight. Tomorrow will be the front suspension, and rehanging the exhaust. I hope to complete that in a day...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Slowwww progress today. I had the passenger side front blown apart in no time. But then I saw surface rust all over the inside strut tower area. Couldnt just leave it, so I wire wheeled, cleaned it and applied POR15.

20180624_111743.jpg

20180624_120349.jpg

20180624_144219.jpg

Getting the Eibach spring in was impossible with the design of the BMR arm. There is hardly any wall to the spring perch to hold the spring in. I ended up going the route of spring on control arm, then jack it up together. Had to use a ratchet strap on the jack to keep it from rolling out under the pressure of the spring. What a nightmare. I still have the other side to do. I remember when this stuff used to be fun... Now I just want it done so I can drive the damned thing.

20180624_144247.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
One side done, and the Eibach front sway bar installed.

20180624_165205.jpg

After being under the front of my car, its evident my power steering rack and steering shaft are my next mods. The rack is leaking pretty badly, and my steering shaft is a rusty POS. Praying for another work bonus...

Reactions: 1 users