NikwoaC's "Commitment Issues" Engine Build

It's not like I just go out, get a grinder and some steel and build something,....then do it over and over till I get it right.

I give every project several hours,...sometimes several days consideration when in the planning stages. The difference between me and an engineer is the precision......

An engineer can build a bridge starting from each end, and the spans will meet in the middle +/- an inch.

If I try that, the spans might meet in the middle, but one side will have a twist to it.
And I'll have to put the one side in a bridge vise, and grab it with a big assed crescent wrench and tweak it.
Or the one side will be higher...
And I'll have to redo it.
Or one side will be too short...
And I'll have to weld a little section onto the span to make it reach.

Then, when I finally get the two sides linked up and secure.....
I'd slather JB weld on it, smooth it out, and paint that btch.

Seriously though,...that scoop came out looking great. Only I can't see how those angled pieces of poly are gonna keep water out of those holes.

Ha, I'm just poking fun, I know you put a lot of thought into what you do, and it shows in your work. Going completely out on a limb and doing stuff that hasn't been done before just comes with its own set of speed bumps.

I will say, there is sometimes an attitude of elitism with engineers, and I get annoyed with it. Just because I took calculus in college doesn't make me a better fabricator than the next dude with an angle grinder in his hands. You learn this stuff by doing, and I would still consider myself very much a novice.

Edit: oh and, the poly pieces are really intended to be nothing more than baffles- deflectors to direct the majority of water flow out and around the hood holes. I imagine if I were to get into a typhoon rainfall or take the car through one of those high pressure touchless car washes, some amount of water is going to make its way into the engine bay.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's done*!

*Nothing I ever do is really "done", but it's on the car and drivable.

I intend to do some somewhat-kinda-scientific testing to see how the airflow goes through this thing and what effect it has on underhood temps, but I will say that after my 30 minute commute this morning, the bulge vent screen was warm to the touch, and the upper intake manifold was cool.

The car needs a bath- there is still jigsaw debris on the hood in these shots.

20180822_121857.jpg
20180822_121859.jpg
20180822_121916.jpg
20180822_121947.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks dudes, I am super happy with how it turned out. It's a good balance between OEM and "race car" look that I was going for. I still think I might repaint it in the future, but for now it's good and I think it's time to move on to the next project... Maybe the Recaros.

Reactions: 1 user
Not really much of an update, but I wanted to show off my next project for the car. I picked up an '83 reverse facing hood scoop that I intend to make into a fully functional hood vent with internal water baffle. The scoop is kind of rough, but other than some cracks that I need to repair, it's complete.

I'm pretty stoked about it. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and after I saw @Davedacarpainter bring one of these back to life, I knew I needed to pull the trigger on one myself.

In these shots, the scoop is just laying on the hood, FYI.

Moose Scoop 1.jpg
Moose Scoop 2.jpg
Moose Scoop 3.jpg
Moose Scoop 4.jpg
Moose Scoop 5.jpg
sorry it's a super old post but I put the reverse hood scoop on my 91 gt did u cut and holes in the hood to let hot air out or just for looks

Send him a private message (chat). Sometimes those are linked to an active email. The Facebook style thread alerts aren’t always guaranteed. At least if he checks his email, he might respond.

I’ve found I miss a lot of posts directed at me because I miss the notification. Chat is always the best

Reactions: 1 user
There is not going to be a lot of air movement back there behind the intake, air, like electricity and water, will take the path of least resistance.
You are obviously seeking input from several sources, pick one and go with it, the effect will likely be minimal anyway.

Send him a private message (chat). Sometimes those are linked to an active email. The Facebook style thread alerts aren’t always guaranteed. At least if he checks his email, he might respond.

I’ve found I miss a lot of posts directed at me because I miss the notification. Chat is always the best
His name is not popping up in the recipients search bar in messages. I doubt he blocked me, so ????
I hope the thread alerts go through. I get many a day. At least one should get through if he’s still active.
@Noobz347 any info?