Not sure if motor is blown or not.. help plz

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
OK. i'm driving on the thruway yesterday around 3 in new york and all of a sudden my car made a huge knocking noise and the car died completely.the noise was to the point where it sound like a bearing broke in my short block and is knocking around in my engine it sounds sooooo bad i can't even drive it its not even funny. well im not totally positive what it is but i think the motor is blown. please give opinions or ideas.

I really would appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude....Sorry to hear that, but I think we have all been there before! If the noise is as bad as you say, and is coming from the bottom end, you can bet its serious. Could be a number of different things...but the only way to find out for sure is to open it up and see...Probably not the answer you want, but it is the only way to find out for sure....On a positive note it does afford you the oppertunity to beef up your short block for future mods....Good luck.

RBRANDX said:
Dude....Sorry to hear that, but I think we have all been there before! If the noise is as bad as you say, and is coming from the bottom end, you can bet its serious. Could be a number of different things...but the only way to find out for sure is to open it up and see...Probably not the answer you want, but it is the only way to find out for sure....On a positive note it does afford you the oppertunity to beef up your short block for future mods....Good luck.

+1

Buy a Haynes of Chilton repair manual ( you WILL need this eventually!) , recruit a couple friends, and get busy. You will gain invaluable experience by teaching yourself...you may not get things right the first time around, but as soon as you get everything put back together and running right I promise you will be pretty damn proud of yourself! And next time something goes wrong ( and it will) you will be able to know your way around. Just be patient, take your time and dont be afraid!:nice:

Well a few hours ago i go outside and pop my hood and my serpentine belt is off i put it back on and start the car and metal pieces small are on the ground. i get under with a flashlight and i see that behind the crankshaft it is cracked and thats where the metal pieces are coming from.

What does this mean?

Do you mean behind the balancer (with the timing marks)? If so, anything that has 'cracked pieces of metal' can't be good.

See if you can find a low miles engine out of another wrecked Stang. Then you can play around with your block (if it's any good).

I broke a cam once and didn't know what it was until I tore the engine apart. That's all you can do sometimes...

Good luck man, and hopefully you can learn alot from it.

im with everyone else. i had valve float once, and the lifter moved to the side of the pushrod and it was slapping my valve cover for about 1/2 mile, then stopped cuz the rod bent and got wedged in the lifter valley, but it wouldn't cause the car to die out.

i think it's time to learn by taking it apart and putting it back together, skippy.

blown engine

My first 306 i built lasted a year with a stock ground crank car would run like crazy. one day i was playing around and romped on it . car took off then died. coasted to a gas station opened hood serp belt was broke and oil all over ground further inspection revealed crank busted at #1 journal and busted block, pully hanging by front seal . talk about dissapointing but that led to a 347 stroker and a sportsman block that will melt tires in 3rd gear. moral of story there can be a positive side to a blown engine.

No matter how you look at it, your gonna probably have to get a new block or rebuild...if your lucky. Im in the same boat as you, my engine just went 4 weeks ago, 2 broken pistons, in the process of rebuilding. First rebuild but iv learned a TON so far.