Off topic ..trouble with another Ford.plz help!!

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
:OT:

Hey guys..

Im having a problem with my winter truck. Its a 99 F-150 V6. Its ideling very funny. Its stays at about a line lower than 1000 rpm then every 3 seconds the idle drops to about 4 lines lower than the 1000 rpm mark then back to its regular position!!

What can this be? I tried cleaning the IAC but it still does it. Could it be the MAF or the TPS?

Thanks.

p.s- sorry its not stang related :D

• Sponsors (?)

After you cleaned your IAC, did you disconnect your battery so that the computer could reset? If not, I'd do that first. FWIW, I was having a similar issue with my 2000 Mazda B4000 (Ford Ranger XLT) and I cleaned the MAF a few times with electrical cleaner ... didn't notice a difference. Then a friend of mine gave me a can of MAF cleaner and after I used it, no more idle issues. Weird I know ....

Reset your batt first tho' if you haven't .........

Thanks for the replys guys...

I was driving the truck today and my feet were cold so I switched the heater know to the floor position only and the surging went away..lol.

I usually keep it at the defrost setting for the windowshield. everytime I put it back at defrost the bad idling comes back/ :shrug:

Im guessing its a vacum leak?

MUSTANGJOE said:
Thanks for the replys guys...

I was driving the truck today and my feet were cold so I switched the heater know to the floor position only and the surging went away..lol.

I usually keep it at the defrost setting for the windowshield. everytime I put it back at defrost the bad idling comes back/ :shrug:

Im guessing its a vacum leak?

The problem is that the A/C system is short cycling because it's low on freeon, so it will idle badly in the A/C and in the defrost positions. The A/C compresor runs in the A/C and in the defrost positions. When the A/C short cycles the computer can not adjust the idle fast enough so it starts to surge.

There is two ways to fix this.

1. Fix the A/C system leak and have the system recharged

2. unplug the low side cycling switch to disable the compresor.

The problem is that the A/C system is short cycling because it's low on freeon, so it will idle badly in the A/C and in the defrost positions. The A/C compresor runs in the A/C and in the defrost positions. When the A/C short cycles the computer can not adjust the idle fast enough so it starts to surge.

There is two ways to fix this.

1. Fix the A/C system leak and have the system recharged

2. unplug the low side cycling switch to disable the compresor.

Thanks...were is the side cycling switch?