Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

ok...3 for 3...all 3 dealerships in my area will not provide a loaner car even if the car is under warranty. They claim you must have a extended warranty since that allows for rental/loaner coverage. He said that a repair of this type could cause me to be without a car for 2 to 3 days and a loaner would be at my expense even for a factory warranty covered issue. How is this possible? Anyone know how I can go higher to complain? This is pure crap. :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

jprez1980 said:
ok...3 for 3...all 3 dealerships in my area will not provide a loaner car even if the car is under warranty. They claim you must have a extended warranty since that allows for rental/loaner coverage. He said that a repair of this type could cause me to be without a car for 2 to 3 days and a loaner would be at my expense even for a factory warranty covered issue. How is this possible? Anyone know how I can go higher to complain? This is pure crap. :mad:

That is pure crap, speak with the manager/owner. When my transmission was serviced @10k I had a loaner for 1 week. Regarding my transmission experience, I went to my service advisior and manger at Miller Ford here in CT last night and told her about the problems I have been having and they said there was a TSB out on it..... Well I just happenend to have it in my hadn so I tossed it on the counter. The manager of the place went wide eyed and smiled. They said they have had 1 other GT in for this work and they would order the Kit this week and replace all the parts next week without even driving the car. He said if it is an 03 and it has not been done then it needs it regardless even if it is not acting up now. So far so good.... I'll let you guys know how I make out!

Must be nice to get that kind of treatment :) Straight from Ford Customer View Point..."The bumper to bumper 36,000 3/yr warranty does not provide for a loaner car pre repair or during repair". While I have not actually looked myself to confirm this in the warranty guide I'd like to know if anyone on here knows if that is true or not. From my discussions with Ford Customer View Point a dealer MAY offer a loaner as a good faith gesture but by no means is obligated to do so. The three dealerships I have spoken to here in the Dallas area (Middlekauff-Plano, Bankston Ford--Frisco, Bob Tomes Ford--McKinney) have all reiterated the same comments. Essentially, during repair I will not be provided with a loaner free of charge. That just doesn't seem right...it wouldn't be such a big deal for me but its my only vehicle and no one really cares to chauffer me to and from work in downtown Dallas...can't blame them either LOL

I think loaners are up to each dealership.

Anyway I had the TSB done back in Sept and with the weather starting to get cold in NJ, I can feel a difference. While not 100% smooth, the notchyness is gone.

My service manager owns a mach and says its normal what a DS I told him to fix his then fix mine... they wont because they could only confirm 2 of my 3 issues. Next time I'm just saying the shifting is notchy/clunky feeling.

myponyrocks said:
My service manager owns a mach and says its normal what a DS I told him to fix his then fix mine... they wont because they could only confirm 2 of my 3 issues. Next time I'm just saying the shifting is notchy/clunky feeling.

If you want them to fix the problem, take it down a long straight road start off in first shift to second without taking your foot off the gas, then repeat as you shift to third and so forth. Repeat this procedure 20-30 times and you will probably make it noticable to any Ford Tech that there is something wrong with the transmission ;) Or if you have a moral obligation not abuse your car just take it to another dealer, chances are they will fix it. They should fix it, we pay 24-30k for these cars and they shift like crap from the day we get them, something is not right about that!

Ken

96? I don't think they had the tremec 3650 in it, however you are right, this is not the first time Ford has had problems with their transmissions. We should all get together for a cruise to dearborn Mich and park them out front and demand trades for 05's :)

lazerred03 said:
96? I don't think they had the tremec 3650 in it, however you are right, this is not the first time Ford has had problems with their transmissions. We should all get together for a cruise to dearborn Mich and park them out front and demand trades for 05's :)

Just wait... the 05's will have problems also. :rlaugh:

If I would have known the problems I was going to have with the transmission, and the BS I had to go though to get it fixed, I would have just got the automatic. This was my first manual and will definately be my last.

brianmef said:
Just wait... the 05's will have problems also. :rlaugh:

If I would have known the problems I was going to have with the transmission, and the BS I had to go though to get it fixed, I would have just got the automatic. This was my first manual and will definately be my last.

Just got my car back from Ford. Transmission feels worse than before, ultra notchy and still does not go into reverse first time. This is the second transmission in 20k, I think I'm going to trade it for an SS or a WS-6 at least GM does not have crappy transmissions (with exception to the 4L60E)

Ken

Tremec 3650 Fluid Fix
I know there are differant problems with this trans. Most common seem to be 1-2 shift clunk. The other is grinding into gear.

Well here is my fix for a 1-2 clunk. When cold this was VERY noticible. Had to shift very slowly and ease it in gear. Would take 10-15 minutes of driving before it started to go away, even then I would hear it every once in a while.

Called Tremec. They told me two things:

- Dump the factory fill (was told by Tremec Mobil 1 syn). Replace it with Texaco (Havoline) Dexron III.
- Drop the fill amount from Ford's recommendation of 3.8 to 3.2 quarts. (3 liters)

They said this would fix the problem. I wasn't as sure as they were. What do you know, it worked. No clunk, even when I try to get it (pop the clutch a little too early). Dont' even get it on a fast downshift like a Iused to. Feels great. If anyone has a shifting clunk I would highly recommend the change.

Should take you more that 20 minutes to do:

- Warm up the and get it up on ramps or jacks. The higher the better as the fill hole is a little tough to reach.

- Use 3/8 inch ratchet to remove drain plu (bottom rear of trans).
- Clean / replace plug and remove the fill plug. Same type plug, higher up on passenger side of trans rear.
- Don't use a 2 hose hand siphon pump. They are garbage for this job, trust me. Go to Meijer and buy a pump that screws directly to the top of the trans bottle. Make sure the "fluid out" least 1 foot long to reach the fill plug. The "fliud in" line to the pump drops right down in the bottle. Makes it easy to pump out 99% from the bottle.
- fill with 3.2 quarts (3027 ML to be exact). Bottles are marked in ML's.
- Replace fill plug and your done.

I am extremely happy with how the Tremec is shifting now. I ran it through is paces hard, even cold and it is great. If anyone is going to try it has has a question, PM me. :banana: :nice:

Got my Stang back from the Ford house....man it shifts like night and day now. No grinding, no noise whatsoever. Definately loving this..should have been this way from day one. If only FORD would reimburse me for the 5 days of rental I needed.

Grrrr.

I am selling latest kit to fix tr3650's shifting problem on Ebay.

Click to view E-bay listing.

link

Please check it out. I am a Ford Tech and have done many of these and they are a complete fix for the problems that I list.

wilke442 said:
I am a for Tech and there is nothing hard about performing the TSB you are talking about. It can easily be done in 3hours.
Have you read an earlier comcerns that after TSB was performed that the problem comes back after 2k to 3k of new mileage. What is your take on the return of the problem?

tranny is strong

03 gt with 14k miles,made many runs at local dragstrip and have thrown down some very hard shifts and tranny has preformed flawlessly every time. have steeda short throw shifter and tranny feels very strong, except for occasional misshift (my fault) tranny has preformed flawlessly

Take it back

Well I take it back. After a few days of driving the trans began to feel better. By Saturday it only was missing the Reverse shift a few times. I was going to throw my tri ax back in anyways so i decided to try the redline fluid again. I picked up 3 liters of it and tossed it in the top before I put the shifter in. Let me say the trans shifts better than it ever has before. Downshifts nice, no clunks no grinds and reverse drop right in. It is like a new transmission. My only bitch is that ford did two things. One they did not use RTV to put the stock shifter back in, and two the trans fluid looked like it was metallic and dirty when it came out so it is a good thing I changed the fluid because this stuff was nasty and smelled like burnt old auto fluid. totally unrelated but I threw in a BBK catted X pipe saturday too and let me tell you that made a world of difference above 4k rpm! pretty easy to install too!

2001 Cobra Vert
Had the throwout bearings go a month after I got it. Had a slight grind 1st to 2nd and told them about it.
Noticed it only does it in cold weather or when the temp drops considerably.
Got the car back and they told me that they replaced the transmission with a borg warner high performance came from milwaukee warehouse. Then when I talked to another technician after 3 1/2 weeks I was told they were waiting for some replacement parts (forks) etc for the transmission and it was a planned recall from SVT for that transmission. Another week goes by and I call back and they were debating on putting an 03 T-56 in it. Ford declined to pay for it and they supposedly put the Borg Warner it it.
When I did get the car back I asked what they did and was told they did some upgrade work with some components for a recall. They could not tell me exactly what was upgraded nor would they give me any kind of paperwork whatsoever. That was a year or so ago. Im looking to upgrade EVERYTHING in this car now and get it up over par of the 03 Cobra. I call back and ask what type of transmission was put in the car and all they can tell me is he remembered them putting in a Borg Warner.
I say HORSE**** Ive still got the 1-2 grind when the car is cold.... after it warms up from running it seems to go away.
Damn thing seems strong.... takes whatever I throw to it

Lets do it :spot: