Engine Oil Filter Ballooned

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I just put this engine together (It had recent rings but otherwise stock). I can tell you I don't know what oil pump it has etc. as the only thing I did to it when I got it was bolt on the heads and upper half. I have ran the engine at idle several times for a total of probably 15 minutes. I went to change the oil filter (which was new when I fired it up for the first time) and this is what I found.

20170513_135424_zpslcrsp8jk.jpg

It looks like pressure built up in the filter?

Car starts and runs fine, and sounds normal. Oil pressure (by stock gauge) is right in the middle.

Any idea what is going on? I JUST finished putting this together and hate the thought that it has to come back out.....

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I looked where the filter goes on and there is a hole with nothing in it? Isn't this where the pressure relief valve goes? If yes, where can I get one and how does it install? Sorry about the questions, never dealt with this type of issue before.

20170513_142536_zpsd37izkqc.jpg

20170513_142529_zpsa7pqebzy.jpg

Thanks

Chris

Ok, just did a small amount of reading on this.
Pressure relief valve is in the oil pump, according to what I just read. A ballooning filter is listed as one result from a malfunctioning prv
What weight oil you using?
Changed oil pump recently?
Ok read post again, you don't know about the oil pump.

It has a new oil pump. Oil is 10w-30. I installed the oil pump when I did the other work (head install etc.) a few weeks ago. The oil pump came with the engine and was new in a box.

It was new, in a box....but not in the box it came in. Just a plain box. The guy I got everything from said "I have a new oil pump for the engine. Here it is." He doesn't remember what it is.

It's time to put a direct reading mechanical pressure gauge on the engine and see what kind of pressure you are getting with the engine running.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess that is my next step. Others on another site say it's the oil pressure relief valve which is in the oil pump and it needs to be changed. I'm thinking oil pump change = engine coming out. That really depresses me........

A mechanical gauge will tell the tale. If you had no valvetrain noise I'd stick a filter on it, put a mechanical gauge on it then spin the pump with a drill like your priming the engine and see what you get.
Or pull the engine out far enought to put a pump in it and make your self comfortable. No harm in making sure.

I blew 2 filters off of my 408W Stroker.......300+ PSI due to the bypass on the Melling Pump was stuck shut!!:eek:
You need to install a mechanical gauge as was mentioned before you ruin your stuff.......OEM gauge is probably just an On/Off switch not really reading pressure!!:shrug:
Good Luck!!:nice:

Nothing wrong with that pressure and sounds like you just may have caught a piece of debris in the bypass momentarily that cleared itself and left the bulged filter!!:confused:
Had the bypass not opened up you'd have blown the filter off (I did that), broken the distributor shaft or damaged the cam drive gear.....you were LUCKY!! :nice:
Run the RPM's up a few times and watch the OP gauge and if OK......go for a ride!!:shrug:
Good Luck!!:nice:

Just an update. I have had the car running for about a week now. It has a cold start pressure on my autometer gauge of 55-60 and settles to 40 at warm idle. I have been monitoring it and it seems fine. I'm just going to continue to run it and keep an eye on that oil pressure gauge.