OK, I'm pissed now, I'm not making the right power and oil is still in my intake

DARK-5.0

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Leawood, KS
I got my car dynoed this morning and it did not go too well. We got my a/f set great right between 12.9-13.3 but the power was just not there. My best was 267 and a little under 300 ft lbs. Everyone with similar combos are putting down 300. I have no idea what could be holding me back.
The thing that really gets me was when I was on my way home. The car kept wanting to die when I came up to stops, so one time I tried to save it, it hesistated and then made a popping noise, then some smoke came out from the shifter bezel, I was in heavy traffic, so I drove half a block to a parking lot and everything looked fine. I just don't know what the deal is. Can everyone help me with this. I am also getting oil in my upper intake. I know that my breather may not be working the best but wtf, it should not be dumping oil into the intake, it shows my oil pressure right where it should be so the crankcase is not getting over pressured. I'm just pissed off and I just want to drive the damn thing with it not acting up.

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear that about the oil in the intake . I wonder if it is the valves. hmmm...

My car ran horribly before the computer "learned" what was going on. I just let it idle all the time and started it often. Gets annoying, but it seems to make a huge difference in power.

Well Paul I don't have a scanner to show you the graph but describing it, it looks smooth throughout the graph, its a little shaky but nothing big. If I can find a scanner I will post it up.
I set the cam dot to dot with the crank and valves are set right, the car still idles and runs smooth just driving it, it just isn't making the right power. Do you think the oil being sucked into the intake could be affecting everything, maybe thats why the graph is a little spuratic, because the air/fuel combustion is getting messed up with the oil. I'm just lost on ideas of what could be holding back all that power. We're talking 30rwhp here thats missing.

Jeremy

Well just took it back out for a drive. The sudden stalling when coming to stops has seem to stop, but I swear if i dyno'd this thing right now it doubt it would even hit 200. Its so ****ing slow, i can put it to the floor in 2nd and it will go no where. I'm just fed up with it. I'm cooling the motor now to check with the oil. How can I stop the oil from getting into the intake.

Jeremy

Heres the piece of **** on the dyno today if anyone cares, I know i don't because I hate this car.
Picture_003_0.jpg

Ok I know i've made a bunch of posts at once but my mind is going 1000mph. What I am thinking in my head of whats going on is that oil keeps getting sucked into the intake and whats happening is the oil is sucked in the intake ports and then covering the valves and eventually into the cylinder. Who knows how much oil is being sucked through, but I do know that today the oil light came on at the dyno and I just put 5 quarts in it a few days ago.
The reason I think the car is choking on oil is because whenever I just give it hell, it will actually wake up around 4k and pull pretty decent because its clearing all of that oil out and its able to breath.
But I dunno, I'm just brainstorming. Tomorrow I'm gonna throw on the stock inlet tube with the iac bung and also the oil breather nipple on it and see if that changes anything, I hope with that vacuum on the filler neck then the crankcase won't overpressurize like it has to be doing now.
Sorry I'm writing so much, its just that I'm thinking of so many thing at once. Sorry.

Jeremy

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. A Vacuum leak would cause in improper A/F ratio, and poor power. It would also cause major idling and surging problems because the engine will run lean. If the leak was on the bottom intake, it would also suck a lot of oil up into the intake. If your A/F is right at full power, it might still be F'd up at lower power settings.

Kurt

But thats the thing, It seems to be fine driving wise now under normal conditions, its when its wot or close to it that it just runs like crap. Its almost like the clutch is slipping but its not, its brand new and just broken in. It still idles great.

Jeremy

I just got back from work.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow if you like. It took my car at least 30 keystarts to start making power. I also burnt through a little oil the first couple times I got on it. Just gotta be patient which I know is hard.

Well the oil light is on for the second time today. It first came on at the dyno so we added a quart and its back on tonight. I just want to get down to my brothers 10 min away and get some beers in me to forget about this piece of ****.

Jeremy

I just thought of something else. That huge hesitation you are talking about sounds like what my car was doing when my MAF was dirty. I am just throwing that out there. Only because I was saying the exact same thing about hating my car when it was doing that. :bang:

Oh yeah, and your car is not a p.o.s.. Its just being difficult. :nice:

DARK-5.0 said:
What baffle do you speak of. The screen that goes under the pcv valve, then yes, the baffle is there.
The baffle is on the under side of the lower intake. Here is a pic of the stock baffle. The ones that come with aftermarket intakes are usually a lot smaller. If it is not on, it will definitely suck a lot of oil through the PCV.
baffle.jpg

Just throwing more ideas out there. :D

Actually now that I think about it, I do believe I have a smaller version of something like that laying around here. On a sidenote, how much oil is left in the crank when the light comes on. I need to make a 5-10 min drive to the autoparts store in the morning to get some oil, can I make it.

Jeremy