ok is it just me or does everyone want a 347 like me LOL have some Q?

golf4283 said:
well I was thinking that if my block is bad that I will go with a 393 stroker becuase its only 200 bucks more over the 347 for the shortblock. The reason I want to stay smallblock is becuase of clearance and stuff like that. I dont want to have to deal with a sparkplug change by taking out my whole engine ya know?? its just easier with a small block.

I have to agree with Edbert as well as Tom B. I built a 302, 40 over, 586 full roller set-up, VJ, alum heads, stud girdle etc, etc to somewhere between 550 and 600 hp with a carbed paxton supercharger. Lots of $$$. This is with a stock stroke for a good reason. No official dyno yet! We are pretty much at this blocks limits... Keep in mind, this is not for a daily driver.

You can gain this hp a 351w, stock bore with natural asperation and a relatively smooth idle! Daily drive the thing until she's old and gray. The only issues for sparkplugs would be on the 65-66 cars... Most cars have one bolt to release the motor mount, a 2x4 and a jack, lift if a couple of inches and you're in business...

• Sponsors (?)

TOM B said:
I would NOT use the 289 block. It is not strong enough for a 347, DONT USE IT.
HERE IS WHY.
1) the main webbing is skinny. (compaired to a 302)
2) the bore skirts are to short and WILL let the 347 stroker piston rock and get jammed at the bottom,, BOOM
3)get a 302 block earlier than 1974. the pan rails and main webs are thicker.
these blocks are good to about 600HP
4)Main caps are junk on a 289, get the Hi Po caps or better yet find a Mexican 302 block, this is the same as a Hi Po 289 and has all the goodies like thick main caps for alot cheaper than a "Hi Po" I got mine for $100.00 or If you have a money stash somewhere then go to Ford for a block.
But dont use a 289 for a stroker motor!!!!

302 is a stroked 289... bascially they are same block - same cylinder lenghts. 289 Hi Po has same caps as Boss 302. Othewise, they are quite identcial.

65stang289 said:
I would like to use a blower or turbo setup on this so the motor has to like boost :D

A stock stroke 302 can split a block right down the middle easily, stroking will do it faster. But all can be had if you go with a A4, R302, or Dart block, but now yer looking at another 2 grand. So if you are using a stock block, I would just choose one or the other. Actually, choose a hp goal, 1/4 mile goal, or whatever then select yer combo from that. Althou a turboed 331 does sound nice

golf4283 said:
I'm just going to be using a N/A 347 kit with pretty agressive cam and AFR205 heads and some sort of edelbrock intake. I will use main girdle and whatever else. Im pretty confident that setup will last.
Yah, that should have no problem, I wasnt refering to yer setup not working. Yers is a strong set up that should last a good amount of time. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear :flag:

split a block in half? I've seen stockers break a block and I've seen over 600hp at 8000rpm live for two seasons of drag racing. better make sure that the block gets checked for cracks in every way possible. x-ray them and check with floresent dye. One hair line crack in the lifter valley or pan rail or any where will turn your engine to junk. Engine prep and machine work should be the main priority. Its never cheaper to skimp on machine work.