Old School Speed Tricks?? Porting stock 5.0 intake?

Mind if I jump in? I have an extra stock 5.0 upper/lower intake that I thought about porting. Only thing is, hole on upper number 8 cylinder has a gash in the rear corner about 1/16 deep and an 1/8 wide. How much can I shave off without ruining intake? Could I possibly shave enough and use a phenolic spacer? Car is '88 vert, still SD. Thanks. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

right at 350 to the tires

I'm curious, what was the combo? CR? "Big" cam etc?

I'll take one to post up tonight. never posted pic, what's the easiest way? Thanks.

Get a photobucket account, upload and follow the directions there and use

9:1, custom cam, Keith Craft AFR185s, 1.625" LTs, supporting cast

10:1, custom cam, AFR 165 heads, 1.625" LTs, supporting cast

to name two. the right cam is absolutely critical.

Agreed on the cam thing.

I love hearing about 302/306s that put down mid 300s to the tire. Just goes to show that if you know what the hell you're doing, it's not impossible to make a stock stroke 302 run like a raped ape.

Were these in street cars?

That's a little bit of a stretch.
Tmoss's own site says the intake is only worth 10-15hp.

That's about an average, I've seen a little less and I've seen more. If it's less, it's not the intake because making an intake flow more efficient never hurts power. Always remember that the intake is only one peice of the puzzle...........

Looking to do some Old School speed tricks to my stock 5.O I have cold air intake, headers and full exhaust, Ford Racing UD pulleys, A/C and Smog Delete and PA 95 amp alternator. Workign on intake now. I really like look of the stock intake. I have heard of people using a larger throttle body like 70-75mm on the stock upper intake and laying the gasket over the flange and markign it with a marker then griding the opening out to get better airflow. Will this actually net any increase in HP or torque? Would I be better of just getting a Cobra intake? Also, any other Old School Speed tricks?
Thanks!
Everyone is right, the easy thing to do to make more power with an intake manifold is get one with larger runners. However, I understand wanting to keep a stock appearance and make more power too. I think your best bet is to look at having your stock intake upper/lower sent to Extrude Hone AFM in California. I'm not sure on the price to do a 5.0 intake, but the flow numbers are pretty and incredible and there is no other technology available that can produce a full runner length port job on a 5.0 intake like the extrude hone process can. But don't take my word for it, look it up. I believe there is a video on YouTube showing the process being done on a 5.0 Cobra intake. It's probably cheaper than buying a used intake too.

Extrude Hone is a dumb process and we have flow tested them right at 200 cfm. You can get 190 cfm by just porting your lower intake and hot 200 with some work to the upper without getting the whole runner. The main restriction of the intake once the lower is ported is actually total runner length. I spent 60 hours porting a stock upper/lower to the limits of the casting. When I was done it flowed 212 cfm! That being said, it was placed onto a 331 ci 302 block and made 329RWHP/360RWTQ. If you want to stick with the stock intake, port the lower or get it ported and run a 65mm TB on the stock upper. Last I knew Extrude Hone was $500-$600 and not worth it. An Explorer intake will set you back ~$200 and flow 205-210 cfm based on our testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Everyone is right, the easy thing to do to make more power with an intake manifold is get one with larger runners. However, I understand wanting to keep a stock appearance and make more power too. I think your best bet is to look at having your stock intake upper/lower sent to Extrude Hone AFM in California. I'm not sure on the price to do a 5.0 intake, but the flow numbers are pretty and incredible and there is no other technology available that can produce a full runner length port job on a 5.0 intake like the extrude hone process can. But don't take my word for it, look it up. I believe there is a video on YouTube showing the process being done on a 5.0 Cobra intake. It's probably cheaper than buying a used intake too.
Hello Aaron not sure if you realize this but you have replied to a thread that is 7 years old. I'm sure by now he has his intake sorted out.
If you do not know Mr moss (or his son now) is one of the best in the business when it comes to port work.

Extrude hone? uh yeah maybe in 1992

Hey is Tmoss still around?
Does anyone know how I could contact him.
Does his son do porting work as well ?
I'm looking to have my cobra intake
And lower gt40 intake ported.
Im sure I could do it my self but Itd be nice to have it professionally done