Opinions on installing these Kenwood KFC-6993PS on my 2011 GT?

2011MustangGT

Dec 5, 2010
I have the base model 2011 GT. Needless to say, the speakers suck. Royally.

I've been researching these speakers:
Kenwood KFC-6993PS 6" x 9" 5-Way Car Speakers
Kenwood - 6" x 9" 5-Way Car Speakers with Polypropylene Cones (Pair) - KFC-6993PS

kfc6993ps.jpg

What do you think? They seem to have positive reviews, and from what I've read, 6x9 is a perfect fit for the doors and back panel.

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe you should do some more research. If you aren't happy with your stock setup, change it, but there is a LOT more to it than just swapping speakers. Here are some things you need to look at before you drop the money.

1) Your factory speaker locations are 6x8

2) Your factory speakers SUCK, they are a thin, non pressed paper cone and thin foam surrounds. Now that be said, there is NOTHING more efficient for the power off your stock headunit (or any unit) than the factory speakers.

3) Looking at a 4 way speaker, like the one above, will just divide up the power more-so than if it was just a regular coax 6x8.

Pretty much, I don't know what your goals are, but I've completely GUTTED my system, I had the stock Shaker500, now I have a Kenwood DDX-7019 touchscreen, 4 RF T1682c 6x8's in factory locations powered by a T400-4 amp, 2 P1 8" woofers in each door off of a T400-2 amp, the T1652-s 6.5" component set in custom kick panels, and two 10" DC XL's off of two RF T1500-1bd amps, plus a MechMan 270 amp alt, Optima Blue Top under the hood and an XS Power reserve battery in the spare tire well. I've completely ran through the car, albeit a 2006, but the stock speaker location, setup, and size is the same. I compete in SQL and SPL in MWSPL and USACi, so the car sees a LOT of audio judges and I've done just about everything in the car in seperate stages, so I can tell you what changes I've made that would meet your goals and keep you from wasting your money.

What you need to do is tell us WHAT you dislike about the stock setup (no mid-bass, no low-bass, dirty highs, low volume, distortion, etc. etc.) and what you would LIKE it to sound like and the type of music you listen to. I know I can, and I'm sure there are others on here that have blended performance and audio lol, help point you in the right direction for what you will need in order to get the result you want.

Thank you.

My goals are very simple: Better audio by means of simply swapping out the speakers. I want to spend as little as possible, so simply swapping the speakers ought to make me happy - if I can find a good speaker to use.

I dont have the 500 system, so I don't have subs in the doors - I'd like a good speaker that provides a bit of bass response, and then eventually add a dedicated amp/sub in the trunk.

So which ones do you think will work best for me, on a budget?

Like I said, nothing is going to be as loud and efficient as the stock speakers (off of that little power) sorry to say it... To be honest, unless you want to put an amp on the new 6x8's or you blow a factory speaker and HAVE to replace it, there really is no point in doing it, you will be wasting your money. Just save your money and get a sub for the trunk, it will add depth, although SQ sound stage won't be near right, it will give you the sound you want without breaking the bank. For budget, don't even bother swapping out the factory 6x8's, your HU doesn't provide enough power to really push anything else. I swapped out my 6x8's and ran them for about a month of the Kenwood DDX's internal amp, sounded WAY worse than the factory speakers. It took amping them to get better sound (although WAY better than stock, it was a night and day difference) and I got the top of the line RF 6x8 speakers, I didn't go cheap on it.

Bottom line, if you aren't going to amp the new speakers and you didn't blow any of the factory speakers, just leave them alone. Save your money for something else, because you WON'T be happy with it.