Passenger Torque Box Question in 67

I'm putting in a TB on the passenger side. The box adds height onto one of the frame rail flanges.
How are you handling the difference in height? Are you welding a shim onto the other flange to even them up, or forcing the toeboardto conform to the difference?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

I put one in when I replaced my floorpan, and of course I put the torque box in first, then laid the toe board on top of it and spot welded it to the torque box. Dont know if that helps or not. I also had to install it in two pieces. I had to drill the spot welds on the new torque box to separate it and then modify it a bit, but it all got in there with minimal fuss. But unfortunately it was not a simple "stick it up there and weld it in" procedure.

Did your torque box come with 1 piece or 2 pieces? I ended up installing the dynacorp brand which came with 2 pieces, but not sure what you are referring to. Could you send us a pic of what you are talking about?

I seperated the torque box into two pieces.
Here I have it clamped and screwed into place.
The top of the box spot welds to one side of the frame rail flange so that makes it higher than the other side by the thickness of the torque box steel
(16 gauge I think)

100_3586.jpg

I did mine just like the pic up there only I mounted mine under the frame rail, I had to do some grinding on that one side of it, but it worked. I had to split mine in half like that too by drilling out the spot welds.

My drivers side TB was mounted above the flange
In hindsight, I guess it doesn't really matter since there will always be an offset either with the flange or the torque box.
I think I will go on top and pull it down to the other flange

I looked at my picture collection again, and my original driver's side was also installed above the flange like yours.

Like you said, no matter what you do there will be an offset. :shrug:

I rechecked and mine was under QC in the 60. My 67 is a very late unit end of Auguest with a 68 roof nuts for shoulder belts and some other 68 stuff that was coming down the line.