• No, even though I don't own any banned dogs

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No, personal choice

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Yes, ban the dogs, they hurt people

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
doug68hoss said:
i love all dogs..but unfriendly ones whatever the breed..
are not much different than a town bully especially if they go out of their way to attack the innocent like bullies do at times..[/QUOTEi

i'll say it again, NO DOG will go out of it's way to attack a person. the only reason that dogs attack people is that they get frightened and feel the need to defend themselves, or their territory.

• Sponsors (?)

bnickel said:
doug68hoss said:
i love all dogs..but unfriendly ones whatever the breed..
are not much different than a town bully especially if they go out of their way to attack the innocent like bullies do at times..[/QUOTEi

i'll say it again, NO DOG will go out of it's way to attack a person. the only reason that dogs attack people is that they get frightened and feel the need to defend themselves, or their territory.

Watched the news the other day and it showed were two pitts got out of a womans yard and went on to bite three or four people that was just on the streets. i belieive it was the new york news..:shrug:

timwcol2 said:
bnickel said:
Watched the news the other day and it showed were two pitts got out of a womans yard and went on to bite three or four people that was just on the streets. i belieive it was the new york news..:shrug:

oh and you don't think those dogs weren't scared? if you were a dog loose in new york city you wouldn't be scared?

again, my point is that dog's don't just attack people they have to be provoked whether it is just the fact that they are lost and scared or if someone is actually threatening them.

bnickel said:
timwcol2 said:
oh and you don't think those dogs weren't scared? if you were a dog loose in new york city you wouldn't be scared?

again, my point is that dog's don't just attack people they have to be provoked whether it is just the fact that they are lost and scared or if someone is actually threatening them.

It was actually by the womans house and the dogs jumped/climbed out of the fence to get the people.. It dont matter what kind of dog it is. If the dog acts like it will bite someone growls etc. put it down..pitts turn too easily. And they do alot more damage than other dogs.

timwcol2 said:
bnickel said:
It was actually by the womans house and the dogs jumped/climbed out of the fence to get the people.. It dont matter what kind of dog it is. If the dog acts like it will bite someone growls etc. put it down..pitts turn too easily. And they do alot more damage than other dogs.

my dog growls and barks at every one that comes to the front door. he has broken windows from hitting his face against the window when he is barking at people. but if i let someone into the house he is as nice to them as can be. so should i put him down because he is protecting his family? i don't think so.

timwcol2 said:

protecting territory. plain and simple. some ass trained these dogs to be overagressive in the protection of their territory. Pit don't "turn" at all. they simply react according to the training and attention they have recieved.

Latigo was going crazy when I got back to Yuma after being gone for over a year. Since I lived at that house for over a year and helped raise that pup, it took him a minute but he remembered me and all he wanted was petted. And heelers are generally a little worse in tempermant than pit acording to ATTS.

its true dogs act up when scared..
but i remember a few years ago my neigbors dog got lose came into my yard ..in the winter,,chased my cat through deep snow..cat never had a chance..killed it deader than hell...and came back looking for more..like i said also..i love dogs ..love them alot,have a blast having them follow me around..but some enjoy killing or biting.. and some people act like animals and go out and kill dogs for sport..so i dont blame the dogs totally

bnickel said:
timwcol2 said:
my dog growls and barks at every one that comes to the front door. he has broken windows from hitting his face against the window when he is barking at people. but if i let someone into the house he is as nice to them as can be. so should i put him down because he is protecting his family? i don't think so.

Sounds exactly like my "first" Queensland Heeler, Mickey. I quoted "first" because Latigo is my "adopted grand-puppy" until Trish can get out of the barracks and into a place where she can keep him. Mickey broke a pane out of the living room window of our house in Tucson -twice- going after an absolute stranger (probably drunk) pounding on our door in the middle of the night. The first time, I couldn't get a good sight picture on the dude 'cause he was running off too far in the darkness (guess I needed to get an NV scope for the shotgun) :p The second time, the guy was demonstrably drunk; just standing there staring at Mickey in the window and pi$$ing his pants all over my front porch. :lol:

Speaking of Latigo...
NoKitten said:
Latigo was going crazy when I got back to Yuma after being gone for over a year. Since I lived at that house for over a year and helped raise that pup, it took him a minute but he remembered me and all he wanted was petted. And heelers are generally a little worse in tempermant than pit acording to ATTS.
:stupid:
Latigo's pretty sure that nobody we let into our house is a stranger; just somebody that hasn't played ball or Frisbee with him yet :D
But woe be unto any fool that walks in uninvited!

timwcol2 said:
bnickel said:
If the dog acts like it will bite someone growls etc. put it down..pitts turn too easily. And they do alot more damage than other dogs.

Dude, get a clue. Dogs where domesticated to be protectors/company. Growling is what they do its telling you to back up get away from them. If you don't then thats you fault. I guess you think rattlesnakes are vile creatures as well? Did you know that 95% of rattlesnake bites are from people intoxicated?

Better watch how you talk it might be seen as growling and we may have to put you down.

steel1212 said:
timwcol2 said:
Dude, get a clue. Dogs where domesticated to be protectors/company. Growling is what they do its telling you to back up get away from them. If you don't then thats you fault. I guess you think rattlesnakes are vile creatures as well? Did you know that 95% of rattlesnake bites are from people intoxicated?

Better watch how you talk it might be seen as growling and we may have to put you down.

whoa there, i didn't post that. how did my name show up as the original poster? i have no idea.

there's an extra open quote that causes your name to appear as the original poster. Notice that the quote in yours says quote=steel1212 before the quote box. then there was a quote=timwcol2 inside the text that was supposed to be quoted. and then the quote gets atributed to timwcol2 instead of stell1212. just a code error.

I located the source, an attempted quote of doug68hoss by bnickel that had an "i" where a "]" should have been, then everybody just clicked the quote button. :p

~Garrett

steel1212 said:
timwcol2 said:

The only good snake is a dead snake.

:lol:

Just what I figured. You know how many medicines have been produced from venom? You know how many rat infestations have been caused from rattlesnake round ups? Na, I bet you don't.

I'm going to stop because I evidently can't compete with your superior intelligence.

I say if they bite then put them down on a case by case basis, no need to be breed specific.

My resoning:
My dad had a german shepard when I was younger. I went to visit (parents were divorced) the dog bit me and almost took my knee off as soon as I got out of the car. My dad tied him up that night. The next morning I walked out and the dog almost took his own head off when he ran out of chain, he was trying to get at me again. My dad walked back inside and got his old service revolver and took the dog out back in the woods. He loved it and it was his only friend at the time but he said that he wouldn't have a dog that didn't like kids. That is the only dog that has ever bit me. I like dogs but do not currently own any. I've had to put a few wild ones down because they kept harassing our cows but that is about it. I stand behind my dad's reasoning still. I don't care how attached I am to a dog, if he bites then he gets put down.

HMM said:
I say if they bite then put them down on a case by case basis, no need to be breed specific.

My resoning:
My dad had a german shepard when I was younger. I went to visit (parents were divorced) the dog bit me and almost took my knee off as soon as I got out of the car. My dad tied him up that night. The next morning I walked out and the dog almost took his own head off when he ran out of chain, he was trying to get at me again. My dad walked back inside and got his old service revolver and took the dog out back in the woods. He loved it and it was his only friend at the time but he said that he wouldn't have a dog that didn't like kids. That is the only dog that has ever bit me. I like dogs but do not currently own any. I've had to put a few wild ones down because they kept harassing our cows but that is about it. I stand behind my dad's reasoning still. I don't care how attached I am to a dog, if he bites then he gets put down.

what about warning bites? you know the kind where the dog just kind of snaps your hand but doesn't break the skin or any bones or anything. just a hey man leave me alone kind of warning bite.

my dog has bitten my daughter like that twice and the little boy next door that throws rocks at him and douses him with the water hose and kicks at him. noe of those times has the dog ever hurt them, just scared the crap out of 'em. every time he was being tormented by the kids and if you ask me they deserved it. i've told them both hundreds of times to leave him alone.

he wouldn't ever actually hurt them he doesn't even clamp down just a little snap to warn them to back off and then he'd go hide under the bed.

he is by no means a mean dog he just like being jacked with. so now whenever the kid next door comes over the dog goes in our bedroom. my daughter is smart enough now that she doesn't agitate the dog anymore. as far as the kid nest door he is a little butthole. he bit my wife once because she wouldn't let him undo his seatbelt when we were in the car coming back from 4th of july fireworks. i tanned his little ass for that. and i don't know how many times i've got him throwing rocks, or kicking dirt or spraying my dog with the water hose. i thin next time i catch him throwing rocks at the dog i'm gonna bean him in the head with one.

so anyway back to the question does a warning snap that doesn't hurt constitute putting a dog down? not in my eyes it doesn't, if the person deserves it. now if he bit someone for no reason whatsoever or drew blood or broke a bone or something i'd be the first to have him put down, but not for a warning snap.

A little snap at your hand isn't a bite IMO. As far as the neighbors kid tormenting the dog, that would fall into the case by case basis. The kid probably needs to be put down...lol At least taught to respect animals. I see no problem defending yourself if provoked, dog or human.

yeah, some people don't see it that way though. i have been bitten by a couple of dogs. i wouldn't necessarily say that i deserved to be bitten but in each case i was probably invading the dogs territory. none was serious and didn't really bother me. minor puncture wounds that just required some peroxide and some neosporin, no biggie. so i guess i see things a little different than most people. warning bites or snaps are exactly that warnings. if you're dumb enough to not heed the warning then you deserve whatever you get.

I think the case by case basis thing depends too on who is making the determination. When I was a kid, I had a Standard Dachshound. HE was a great dog in most case and I could do pretty much anything to him. but there were a few times where I tormented him to the point he bit me. I would say that I deserved it, because I was right in his face that he was able to snap my face.

Like any other species dogs will defend themselves when provoked.