Please help me pic a Cam!!

Alright guys I am ready to start assembly of my shortblock that had a cracked piston and just basically shot bottom end.. I am going with a flat top pistons with valve reliefs. I am using World Products windsor Sr heads. 200's. Ported cobra lower and stock cobra upper, and all the usuall bolt ons. I want a nice choppie idle and good power from like 1500 to 6000 rpm. What would be a good cam choice? Oh and this is kinda a budget so a custom grind is out of my range right now. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Power adder car or nat. aspirated? Auto or Manual? What gears? Have you mocked up the valvetrain to see what you have for piston to valve clearance? Those Sr's have 2.02/1.60 valves and flow very well to almost .600 so a TFS1 would not give you your full potential of your heads. It is usually recommended because of its price and thats all anyone really knows, there are many OTS cams that will benefit you much more than a TFS1. Just my 2cents take it for what u think its worth.

Power adder car or nat. aspirated? Auto or Manual? What gears? Have you mocked up the valvetrain to see what you have for piston to valve clearance? Those Sr's have 2.02/1.60 valves and flow very well to almost .600 so a TFS1 would not give you your full potential of your heads. It is usually recommended because of its price and thats all anyone really knows, there are many OTS cams that will benefit you much more than a TFS1. Just my 2cents take it for what u think its worth.

Thats what i thougth also, the cam that was in it when it had domes in it was a lunati 526,530, and the TFS1 is a 501,512 i think, so i figure i would need more, since the car ran pretty strong then as far as i can tell even though i never fellt all of it cause i pulled it apart to find a knock and found a busted piston and another with a broke compression ring. So someone didnt know what they were doing, so i am doing it right within my budget. So i am putting speed pro forged flat tops with valve reliefs, 0.30 over, stock rods and crank but prepped, roush 200's, 1.6 rockers,tmoss ported cobra lower, stock cobra upper, 70mm tb, 24lb or 30lbs (cant tell there yellow but was told they could be accel 24's). Car is a 89 coupe that weighs according to the title 2744lbs, has 4:10's, t-5 with hardened gears. I am gonna spray it eventualy but i want a cam that works good with both. I am a decent mechanic but not really sure how to check PTVC but will learn.. But just a round about idea will be great...like i said this isnt gonna be an all out race car, just a nice street car. Thanks.

with TRW 2482's flat top and a 1.94/1.60 valve combo I have run .550 lift cams and had .090 clearance with a .032 head gasket. You could use your old cam to check with if you don't have checking springs and indicators. Use they clay method with your old gaskets(they are already compressed) and rotate very slow if you feel a bind abort mission! That old Lunati is not actually a bad little roller if its not bunged up. That should put you right at 9.5 with those flats and the 58cc chambers so you could use a little bit of camshaft.

with TRW 2482's flat top and a 1.94/1.60 valve combo I have run .550 lift cams and had .090 clearance with a .032 head gasket. You could use your old cam to check with if you don't have checking springs and indicators. Use they clay method with your old gaskets(they are already compressed) and rotate very slow if you feel a bind abort mission! That old Lunati is not actually a bad little roller if its not bunged up. That should put you right at 9.5 with those flats and the 58cc chambers so you could use a little bit of camshaft.

Thats just it, the cam is screwed. Two of the journals were scared bad. And also these heads have 64cc chambers so my comp will proly be around 8.5 to 1. Thats an awful big chamber...i wish they were smaller. Do you think these heads are gonna make good power with my combo??

Depending on whether or not you have the 2482 or the 2488 piston with the 82 you will have 8.7 and the 88 you will have 9.5. In either case I see a blower or NOS in your future. Those heads are heavy decked and tough as nails I would not be afraid to throw 150 shot or 10 psi(properly tuned) at it. Get Felpro 1011-2 h. gaskets that way its done right the first time. It will not kill your power it will be a bit soft down low but your 4.10 will absorb some of it. I would run a power adder style camshaft and look for a p/a in the future to spice things up a bit!!!

Depending on whether or not you have the 2482 or the 2488 piston with the 82 you will have 8.7 and the 88 you will have 9.5. In either case I see a blower or NOS in your future. Those heads are heavy decked and tough as nails I would not be afraid to throw 150 shot or 10 psi(properly tuned) at it. Get Felpro 1011-2 h. gaskets that way its done right the first time. It will not kill your power it will be a bit soft down low but your 4.10 will absorb some of it. I would run a power adder style camshaft and look for a p/a in the future to spice things up a bit!!!

I am not sure which ones they are, my machine shop got them for me. They were pretty high, I paid $430.00 for them along with a $75.00 set of rings. I thought my machine shop was screwing me cause i look in summit and they had some speed pro forged for $350.00, but you say there are two kinds so i dont feel so bad. But yeah i figure since they flowed so good that a power adder would be good. I have had good look with nitrous in the past when tuned properly, but my car wont be terribly weak with these heads right? I mean without domes i am dropping the compression a good bit. And also what your saying is go ahead and get a good cam for nitrous? And will it hurt performance on motor? I thought a nitrous or blower cam has really radical duration. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help.

No it is not gonna be a slouch at all and power adder camshaft in OTS form just generally has a little higher accentuation on the exhaust side of things and a wider seperation angle(114 usually) and this will not hurt nat. aspirated power at all it will calm the idle down a bit. I have had good luck in the past with an ol'scool Comp part# 35-306-8 it is for power adders and has 224/230 @ .050 and
.533/.544 lift. Pulls real hard on motor from 2,000 all the way to redline and loves the juice, plus has a great sound to it.