Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

• Sponsors (?)

Aaron, is it 120k kilometres or miles? if it's the former, I wouldn't be worried at all...if it's the latter...I still wouldn't be horribly worried.

I had a 96 Buick Park Avenue (also 3800 SC) and I ran it to 220k kilometres before selling it. SC was still holding up and I had never had any engine problems. If you have most/all receipts, and the car has been looked after, you shouldn't have anything to worry about

It's 185000 kms, I did a guestimate as to what that was, in miles, so that most of the guys on here could get an idea of the mileage...

so you don't think that's too high of a number? Like I said, I'm going to talk to a mechanic first off and let him take a good look at it, but besides the rust on the rear quarter panel wheel well (ontario automotive standard :nonono: ), it looks, and sounds to have been taken care of very well

Guero, you're utterly hilarious...I don't think I'll have too many problems with the tranny (knock on wood), since I really don't intend on driving it hard, I'm really just in it for the luxury

Seriously go to any GTP forum and the tranny is the weak link of the car. Hey i dont know what you have done to the Mustang as in mods. But i bet if you pullie that gtp and Get a tuned computer you'll eat up your stang(if its mostly bolts on)

Guero, you're missing my point here....i don't want the GTP for speed....I like the leather, the bells and whistles that my car doesn't have anymore (removed air conditioning/smog pump....rear seats :p ) plus the one's it never did come with (heads up display...4 doors)

In the future, if boredom and finances allow, I may tweak the suspension and wheels, and MAYBE the exhaust...but that's it...this car is something my girlfriend will learn to drive (auto) and I can use on long highway trips...

It's 185000 kms, I did a guestimate as to what that was, in miles, so that most of the guys on here could get an idea of the mileage...

so you don't think that's too high of a number? Like I said, I'm going to talk to a mechanic first off and let him take a good look at it, but besides the rust on the rear quarter panel wheel well (ontario automotive standard :nonono: ), it looks, and sounds to have been taken care of very well

Guero, you're utterly hilarious...I don't think I'll have too many problems with the tranny (knock on wood), since I really don't intend on driving it hard, I'm really just in it for the luxury

I assume you haven't driven it yet? When you do, make sure you drive it relatively hard. I only say this, because when I sold my buick, the trans (auto) was on the way out, and the higher rpm shifts were very sloppy. This was not noticeable if you didn't have your foot in it.

Listen closely to the engine for anything that doesn't sound right. It should be very quiet and very consistant.

My biggest concerns when looking at it would be, oil changes, supercharger condition, and most importantly, trans condition

I had a '99 GTP for about 6 years. Put a ton of miles on it. Beat the piss out of it every chance I got. It keep on going for more. Those are great cars, Pontiac sold a ton of em too, so they're fairly easy to find. And the 3800 is a stout engine. It was built for the supercharger, so it holds up really well.

The one problem I recall was something regarding a plastic composite intake, I believe. It would warp and leak coolant, or something like that. They had a recall on it. I never had mine done, and never had a problem. The only $$ I thew into it was for gas, tires, one brake job (crappy GM brakes), oil, and one battery.

Oh, they do pull pretty hard too. Do a pully swap and you will be running 13's.

Enjoy.

this car is something my girlfriend will learn to drive (auto)

what is she 15 :lol:

i have an 2004 GTP fleet car that i drive everyday. nice ride, it;s comfy and has put plenty of wtf looks on unexpecting people when all they see is tail lights.
expext to buy stock in a tire company, cause you will light the front tires up if you can believe that.

and don't worry about modding it, i thought i was going to mod mine but my stang eat up all of my funds. :shrug:

good luck

My uncle has one and we modded it with the smaller pulley and a few other options and it really goes believe it or not. To ge tto low 13's you are going to have to spend more money and buy the better axle from memory. High 13's are fairly easy to get to in those while still being safe and not spending too much cash. Again, 120k is alot of miles on any car to begin modding in my o but it still can be done. Overall it is more of a 'dads" car to drive though and not exciting.

i really appreciate all the help and suggestions fella's, I took another good look at it today, and it's looking like I might wind up making this purchase, just gotta drop down to the bank

the orange anti freeze is garbage my moms jimmy 96 first year of dex-crap same problem they told her they haddent worked all the bugs out of the system yet..i think its crap.

lol...you mom has a jimmy.:D

J/K, my mom has a '97 with the 4.3 and console shifter. We've had it since it was new and I had to put up with that joke in Middle School.:nonono:

As far as the weak link I too from what I have heard/read it is the trans. I remember reading someplace that Pontiac had/has been trying/fighting for years to get the Caddi auto put into the Pontiac lines as the Caddi auto is supposed to be a far stronger auto.

Anyway, I would rather have a GM auto over a Ford auto ANY day. If it is ONE thing that Ford cannot do for crap (outside of the c6) is make a tough auto trans. for its factory applications.

Anyway, I would rather have a GM auto over a Ford auto ANY day. If it is ONE thing that Ford cannot do for crap (outside of the c6) is make a tough auto trans. for its factory applications.

C4's are good.
Also the 4r70w is very reliable and can take the power of a 32v. It is just kinda sluggish in stock form.
I've also been hearing good things about the new Auto Mustangs.

I mean 100% stock. My wifes uncle is the top master tech at a SVT (if there is still such a label for dealers) and has all kinds of horror stories about the "new" trans. One customer was bitching about his 06 f150's 1-2 shift and how his brothers does not do it and he wants if fixed. He took him out in 3 diff. brand new 07 150's and made every one do it on the 1-2 shift at will. The CVT trans...every maker has had an issue with them. The 4r70/75 is better than the AODE in a stocker but some mods will be needed if you up the power level still. The c4 is ok...if you rebuild it every year or two the saving grace for it is its light. Several diesels have blown up the auto from some REALLY light duty like one brand new tester a shop guy spun the tires while waiting for the shop doors to open and the damn thing blew up, with others blowing while on a test drive for an un-related issue.

The absolute strongest factory (100% factory built) autos are made by GM Powerglide, 350thd, 400 with the 400 voted the strongest of all time out of the big three and the c6 second with the 727 third.

Yeah the GTP is pretty cool, kinda sporty and definitely NOT slow. Stock for stock it's about the same as a 5spd stang. At least the couple I raced a couple years back were dead next to me the whole time.

OK - I normally hang out in 5.0 talk but noticed this post so I'll speak up. I currently own an 02 GTP (anniv edition) and owned a Buick Regal GS before as well (same supercharged engine). I love both cars. They have great power, ride nice and I've had 0 problems with either. I got rid of the Buick with 130K on it, and it still pulled very strong. I love the handling of the GTP. I can't knock them at al.