Powder coating front hubs/ removing bearings??

caseywan

Apr 7, 2006
Chicago, IL
So I know the front hubs are sold as a complete assembly and you can't buy the bearings alone at your local auto parts store. I do powder coating myself and I have seen guys powder coat the SN95 hubs before. I don't know if 350-400 degree cure temp would ruin the bearings or not, however the biggest problem would be that the heat would make the grease run and ruin the powder coat. How the heck do I get the bearings outta there??

• Sponsors (?)

I have always known them to be a sealed assembly. I cant imagine the powercoat temps would be good for the bearing. Plus you couldent repack the bearings as there sealed. I have no idea how you would be able to do that. Also, why do you want to do it...is this a show car or something?

They are sealed assembly in the sense that once you put the hub on the spindle they are sealed, but with the hub off the bearings are exposed and you can re-grease them. I do powder coating on the side and I want to do for rust prevention, and looks.

Buy one of those laser thermometers...drive your car around and use the brakes. Then point the therm at all four corners of your car, and see how hot the temps get. Then decide about the powder coating.