Powdercoated my own parts... pics inside

As for the radiator, it worked better than I could have imagined. My car is almost too cold now. It NEVER went above the N of normal, or 180* on my autometer temp gauge. I was stuck on the ohio turnpike for an hour due to an accident in total grid lock, and the thing never went above N. I had problems with the car creeping up to 210* on the highway ever since putting on the xenon front fascia, but even with cruising at 72mph in 80*+ temps and at around 2500-2600rpms... it never went above 180*.

I will try to get some pics of the mounting, but its NOT going to be easy as there is no place to get the camera in there.

On a side note, I averaged 21.X MPG on my trip from home to ohio and back!!! Who says 4.10's are not good on the highway?!?!?

• Sponsors (?)

SorsCode said:
You have to see the car in person it looks sweet.... Nice meeting you at FFW Paul.... Love the car.... Keep up the good work.

Thanks! It was nice to meet you too! Apparently the judges didn't think so as I came away with NOTHING. I was a little disheartened at that, but oh well, my car has always been more of a "go" than "show" car anyway. There was some really over the top cars there. The 95GT convertible that won 5.0 mustang magazine's king of the street shootout won best of show. I talked briefly with him and he seemed like a pretty cool guy! That 6' trophie looks funny as hell sticking out over the top of his windshield!!!

Maybe next time you and I can both enter true street... I'll just have to slow the car to a 14.0 or so so they don't give me the boot. :shrug:

Killercanary said:
Maybe next time you and I can both enter true street... I'll just have to slow the car to a 14.0 or so so they don't give me the boot. :shrug:

Like i told you 160 cars in True Street enter almost every year. There not going to tech ya. My buddy was running low 12's no helmet, d/s loop, and slicks (which aren't even allowed in True Street)

I wanna make it out to SSOTN Nats this fall... Hoping i get the car running better by then.. I won the 14 second class in True Street :) zero track prep and 205/65's are killer when its 90+ track temps... Sadly then night before i was running 13.20's on the same tires at a different track... Honestly I like your car much better than the guy that you mentioned.

Killercanary said:
As for the radiator, it worked better than I could have imagined. My car is almost too cold now. It NEVER went above the N of normal, or 180* on my autometer temp gauge.

Wait until fall/winter, you'll probably have to raise your fan settings! While driving on the highway with 30* temps outside, my factory temp would sometimes drop down to the little line before N. Later, the temp would spike up to about the O and drops back down. My guess is the t-stat wasn't opening.

Sorscode- WTG man! I may seriously concider it next year! I think I'd have better luck running it than showing it based on this year. :shrug:

Thanks guys again for the compliments... now I have the urge to powercoat everything!!!

JR- my oven is SMALL, I could barely fit 2 valve covers in it, there's no way I'd fit a powerpipe in there. But I have a few ideas and if I follow through on them I might be able to do larger parts. I just wish I had a way to coat plastic, I want a chrome firewall piece in the worst way!!!

MrGreen- I already had to raise them. I had them coming on at 170* witht he old rad, bow they are at 180 low and 190* high settings. I know I will have to do something when it gets cold out. It takes like 5 minutes of driving to even start to warm up.

Paul run the overflow into the washer tank like me and Snoozer. :nice:
or get one of these puppies....
billetoverflow.jpg

http://www.mustanginnovations.com/exp_tank.htm

JR- Troy was just busting on me because I told him that the gap between the overflow and the rad. shroud bothered me. I cut a piece of 2X2 aluminum angle to go in there and showed it to Troy. I didn't put it in yet as I ran out of time before I left for the FFW event, and I didn't polish it yet. I may not even mess with it now and just buy or make my own overflow tank.

Electric WP? No, I don't have one of those... I wish I did. My only change was the summitt universal fit rad. I run a 180* t-stat, water wetter and my fans come on at 170* low speed and 180* high speed... I think. I changed them right before I started the car to leave for Ohio. I'll check them later to see for sure. My car NEVER ran hot even with the stock rad until I put the xenon front fascia on and when I did it cut down on the amount of airflow to the rad and I started to have a temp problem at highway speeds... it would creep up to and above 215*. I tried to lengthen my air deflector under the car, as you can see in this pic... look under the front bumper...

dsc097.jpg

It didn't seem to help though. So I bought this rad like 2 years ago to fix my problem. Well, I tried installing it like 2-3 times and everytime I gave up because I lacked the time I needed to do it the way I wanted to. Well, I knew I was going to driving ~5 hours to Ohio and I knew that I'd be taking a risk doing it with the stock rad in there, so I made it a point to do this when I had the brackets and such off to give me more room to work. I couldn't be happier now, but it was a PITA. I know Jesse and others have said it was easy, but mine was a royal PITA... did I say that already!?!? Now that's its in there and complete, I couldn't be happier. BTW- I run underdrive pulleys too which definitely doesn't help matters, but I have NO problems now.

P.S.- I even installed an electric fan in front of the rad from a '93 voyager to act as a pusher fan... it didn't help either! Look at how small the opening is in the lower front fascia for air to go in... I can barely fit a finger in there!

Paul, Thats looks awesome and you have convinced me to now get all of my parts powdercoated. I have always wanted to do it but never really wanted to back track since i just got the motor running but after seeing that chrome powder. I called around to some places and found a great deal to get a bunch of stuff done. I will post some pics when I get them back.

Jeremy