Project HP. 150 HP in a N/A

Here's the deal. I have got an 88 lx coupe 2.3, therefore, giving me 90 stock hp. I want to end up with 150 hp without touching the block or using nitrious. I am going to put on a new exhaust, air induction, and pull of the head and do everything to it that I can without having to mess with the block, simply because I can not afford to redo the whole motor.....again. Anyways, this is one of the reason why I continue to post questions about hp increase. I dont know exactly how much I can do to the head without having to adjust everything in the block, but I am going to do as much as I can. Anybody else have any suggestions that could help me reach my goal of 150hp? Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

So, Essentially your going to pull your catty, and open the Exhaust lines by replacing your Exhaust Manny with a Header for start? Good idea, but 1 word of caution on doing that, make sure you dont drop your back pressure to low on your engine. Also Have you checked for replacement heads that fit your block? If you able to find a mod Cylinder head with OHC you could increase your horse by maybe 20-30 Horsepower, there are alot of Fabricatored Pieces avaliable now. Hope this of some help.

JamesBaumann said:
Here's the deal. I have got an 88 lx coupe 2.3, therefore, giving me 90 stock hp. I want to end up with 150 hp without touching the block or using nitrious. I am going to put on a new exhaust, air induction, and pull of the head and do everything to it that I can without having to mess with the block, simply because I can not afford to redo the whole motor.....again. Anyways, this is one of the reason why I continue to post questions about hp increase. I dont know exactly how much I can do to the head without having to adjust everything in the block, but I am going to do as much as I can. Anybody else have any suggestions that could help me reach my goal of 150hp? Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

At least you have a very reasonable goal, but it will take a good set-up. I think one problem may be the stock Speed Density system. You could probably wire the car and use a small VAM and go with 30lb injectors. Port the head a tremendous amount along with the intakes. Use a Roller cam and you might be close. It might even be easier to do a 150hp carb motor, which is very attainable.

carb would be easier. port the head, big valves, dport lower, with a carb, and a cam with a healthy lope. Don't forget the header, and exhaust system, and you will have 150+ hp
Check out my sig for the combo. it is respectable considering a grinder hasn't touched the head.

hey now, it was a solid 18.5@75mph. I trap several mph faster than crovax though, and he has a 5sp. My 60' time is ~2.75 which just kills any chance at a descent time at the track.

James just keep in mind that almost anything that you do to the N/A engine will transfer to a Turbo Block in the future, so it is a good goal that you have at 150 hp with a future of still going further by changing blocks and adding the turbo. what year is the car?

somethings will transfer, but if you do anything like buff's setup or a carb, most wont. if you shave the head for higher compression (more hp n/a) it wont be turbo friendly, and a carb is not the best route IMO with a turbo. Also if you get a wild after market cam, mostlikely youll want one with a differnt curve for boost application. The things that can transfer, such as a forged/stroked bottom end, that would work, bigger valves (but would hafta be transferd to a differnt head b/c of compression) etc...not trying to down your point, just trying to keep things in perspective :)

no offense taken I wasnt thinking of Carb's and you make a few good pts yourself. I am looking to get parts now that will work in both apps because the final motor will be a turbo block so I look for applications to use now and then.

In my opinion, it's pretty much all in the head. Port that head really well and shave a lot off to raise the compression. I think the intake manifolds will be up to the job, and should be able to flow enough air. Definitely go with some sort of exhaust header. The Ranger header is the easy route but you should be able to get more power from a Pacesetter long tube. Another thing to think about is getting an aluminum flywheel and driveshaft. That will get 'er revving faster, which will make a big difference in how it feels. I think it would increase the fun factor by a lot. If it were my car, I'd start with the head and go all out on it.. that' where most of your power gains will be found.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as you probably know already, get a bigger cam - that'll make a large difference as well.

Anlushac11,how does your car run with the carb. turbo set up? people say its a bad ideal to do this, but i see alot of the v-8 guys doing it and make mad horse power.do you think carb. turbo set up would be close to the efi set up?

I am going to get everything done to my head that I can without messing with the block this summer. I am also getting a new exhaust put in this coming Thursday. Just 2.25" exhaust. I dont know if I will bolt on a ranger header or a long tube pacesetter. Would you recommend the long tube, taking into consideration its price? Air induction as well and maybe I will be pushing 150 hp. I may look at an aluminum driveshaft. Does anybody know approximately what these cost and how much they will effect my speed?