Putting my 3550 from my 95 GT into my 87LX. What will I need?

My 87 LX, that used to be an AOD (so I have the AOD crossmember if it's needed) but now a grinding T-5, is going to get the 3550 but I'm confused to what I need to make it work. Please Help!
I've done searches and they seem to say it's a straight bolt-in with a different crossmember but I thought it was longer which would make it not work with my driveshaft :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Procharger95 said:
My 87 LX, that used to be an AOD (so I have the AOD crossmember if it's needed) but now a grinding T-5, is going to get the 3550 but I'm confused to what I need to make it work. Please Help!
I've done searches and they seem to say it's a straight bolt-in with a different crossmember but I thought it was longer which would make it not work with my driveshaft :shrug:
Since you already have the T-5 in there, the only difference will be the need for the AOD crossmember. The length of the tranny and the output shaft are the same between the 3550 and T-5, only the tranny mounts at a point closer to where the AOD mounted than the T-5. If it were a TKO then you would need a different yoke at the front of the drive shaft (different # of splines).

89roadster said:
If it were a TKO then you would need a different yoke at the front of the drive shaft (different # of splines).

I thought this was true if I was putting it into my 95. For some reason I thought the TKO was a direct fit for the Fox body Mustangs and the 3550 was a direct fit for the SN-95 Mustangs. I thougth this because it fit right into my 95 but I may have used a Fox scattershield but I'm not sure now it's been a good while since I bought the parts.

The 3550 uses the old SROD 4 speed bellhousing (or equal).

Bust the tack welds on your stock crossmember where the brace fits on the chassis mount bolts, and slide it aft until the trans bolts line up. Install all the trans mount bolts, tighten them down & re-weld the crosmember.

jrichker said:
The 3550 uses the old SROD 4 speed bellhousing (or equal).

Bust the tack welds on your stock crossmember where the brace fits on the chassis mount bolts, and slide it aft until the trans bolts line up. Install all the trans mount bolts, tighten them down & re-weld the crosmember.
My question is why can't he use the bellhousing from the 95gt that had the tremec in it?