Q about how much HP i might have.

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
Hey guys,

I am planning on taking my car in to get dynod but i would like to have an idea as to what i'm pushing out.

My mods are:
SLP LTs
SLP catted X
SLP LM2
K&N FIPK
75MM TB & Plenum
3200 stall converter
beefed up trans. (not really sure about everything that is in there othere than the stall convereter)

I figured at the most i may have gotten 25hp
How much hp do you think i'm making? Also what should be my next step in mods? Heads or cams?

3.73 Gears are going on in about a month.

Thanks a lot,

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

the torque converter helps get power down. it doesnt make any actual power but if two identical cars hit the dyno and one has a converter, the one with the converter will have higher numbers.

Well don't quote me, but I want to say that the stock flywheel rating is 270?! calculating all the parasitic loss from there to the wheels should drop YOU down to around 215, now add your mods exhaust 25-30 +tb/plenum 10-15...and you end up around 240-260.
I could be wrong, but its a good ballpark.
Comp, or VT seem to be pretty popular

Thanks nwapache!

Yeah i went to the route 66 raceway over the weekend and comp cams was one of the vendors there and they hooked me up with a setup for around 800 so i was pretty excited about that. Now i just gotta find some body to do the install and will except monopoly money as payment.

nwapache said:
Well don't quote me, but I want to say that the stock flywheel rating is 270?! calculating all the parasitic loss from there to the wheels should drop YOU down to around 215, now add your mods exhaust 25-30 +tb/plenum 10-15...and you end up around 240-260.
I could be wrong, but its a good ballpark.
Comp, or VT seem to be pretty popular
That is about right on the number 240-255 I would say and after installing 3.73. gears you will loose some HP unless your smart about hardening your gears

im sayin the 250s considering its a dynojet dyno and not a mustang dyno. I did 270rwhp in a manual with full exhaust, cai, and 75mm tb and plenum on a dynojet. I could always be wrong though lol.

VT cams ftw!!!

Okay so now i have a very good ballpark idea as to how much HP i am pushing out and thanks to everyone for all of your help. I knew i could count on you guys!

Now for the next question. Whats the difference between VT and Comp cams? Why is one better than the other? Is it like motive gears compared to FRPP gears?

I don't know what the difference is between them. I don't think you could go wrong either way.
As far as the install goes.....pick up a Haynes and see if you can figure out how to do it yourself. There are harder jobs to do on your car, and you'd be patting yourself on the back for a month, afterwards.

Comp set me up with cams and springs for around 800$ My whole goal when i started this "project" was to get my car sounding like an old school muscle car and i think the cams are what i'm missing. I really don't care about how much HP i have i guess.