Quarter Panel Skins & paint questions..

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
My quarter panel skins for my '66 Mustang coupe should be here this coming week, along with the trunk drop-offs that I ordered. I decided to take off the bumper, valance, end-caps and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to change the trunk drop offs being that I am using skins instead of full quarters. I couldnt justify paying $140-190 freight for full quarters.....

Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone used skins and changed out the trunk drop-offs as well?

Also I plan to paint this car within 3-6 months, and I have to do most of the work outside in the backyard. When I change out the skins and any other bodywork,

2) can I use 1K aerosol etching primer on the bare metal followed by rustoleum spray paint to keep it from rusting since it is outside and may have to take some rain?

3) would I have to take the areas I use the 1k primer & rustoleum to bare metal when I'm ready to epoxy the whole car?

4) can epoxy go over the old paint & filler as well as primer if I go over everything with 80grit?

5) after epoxy, do I need to spray another primer before BC/CC?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the middle of doing skins on my 69. You can see pics of it here:

Left Quarter Panel pictures by FordP51 - Photobucket

1) I'm doing the whole trunk pan, but I can't imagine why you couldn't do the drop offs. I guess it depends on where you cut your quarter panel.

2) Yes, that should keep the rust away for a while

3) I personally would sand off the rustoleum before spraying the epoxy primer.

4) I've never had an issue with epoxy going over other automotive paints. Not sure about rattle can paint though, hence why I would sand the rustoleum off

5) Good question - I have always done that, don't know it its required though. Seems like if you lightly roughed up the epoxy the base coat would have something to grab onto.

Course' all of the above is the opinion of a hobby restorer. It'll be interesting to see what the pros say. :)