quick question about rocker arms

JenkinsBS

Founding Member
Apr 16, 2002
Washington
okay, im looking for a new set of rocker arms for my e7's. right now theres a set of aftermarket svo 1.7 ratio rockers on it, which are like, 13 years old. so i was looking thru summit and found these

***FMS-M6564A50***
"Ford: 1978 and later 302/351W, with OEM and GT-40 heads, 1.70:1 ratio, bolt-on, roller rocker arms

When you're looking to increase power, look no further than this set of roller rocker arms. Features include precision machined construction from 2024 high tensile aircraft aluminum, high strength trunnions supported by needle bearings, and grade 8 adjusting nuts. They reduce parasidic losses from friction and increase high RPM stability. This set will fit all stock production cast iron heads with hydraulic non-adjustable valve train. Includes pedestal inserts and bolts.

Sold as a set of 16."

do those sound like they will work? i have an 86 with stock cast iron e7 heads. thanks for the info

b.j.

• Sponsors (?)

If by "work" you mean - bolt on, fit, etc., the answer is yes. If by "work" you mean result in a significant performance difference, it's pretty difficult to predict. I've seen dyno runs in magazines where the swap from 1.6's to 1.7's resulted in a 1HP LOSS at peak, with no average change, all the way to an 18HP gain at peak with probably a 5 to 8HP average change. You'll just have to try and see. Remember, most of the older valve covers have to be massaged to clear the bigger roller rockers. I don't understand what they're talking about with grade 8 adjusting nuts. There are no adjusting nuts on the bolt on pedestal mount rockers.

Did you put the E7's on your car because the 86 didnt come stock with E7's. Also, how much are those things because crane has a set off pedestal mount rockers, and they are pretty cheap. I ran those on my old stock combo and they worked great.

SmockDoiley said:
Did you put the E7's on your car because the 86 didnt come stock with E7's. Also, how much are those things because crane has a set off pedestal mount rockers, and they are pretty cheap. I ran those on my old stock combo and they worked great.

yes i swapped out the old e6's that came on it stock, but the rocker arms that are on the e7's now, are the ones that used to be on my e6's. but im not looking really for a horsepower increase, just want some fresh ones, maybe i dont need them. but i do need a new pedastal (one got crushed from incorrect installation :() so i have 2 options... keep my old rockerarms (which still roll pretty smooth) and buy a set of new pedastals from crane (and use 1) or buy a complete new set of RR's. i dont know, so ill decide a little later, any more info would help, oh and i hve stock valve covers. thanks guys

B.J.

Michael Yount said:
I don't understand what they're talking about with grade 8 adjusting nuts. There are no adjusting nuts on the bolt on pedestal mount rockers.

That has got to be a mistake in Summit's description - those are the 1.7 Cobra rockers. Definitely no adjusting nuts.

I am looking into getting those same rocker arms. But Summit said they are "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles". If these are the Cobra 1.7 ratio rocker arms how are they not emmisions legal? I really need to know before I buy them, becuase I live in a county where they do the dyno testing that costs $40.

There not emissions legal because they change the characteristics of the way the camshaft operates the valves. There are emissions legal camshafts you can put in. But as a practical matter, if you put them in there won't be a visual problem as they are under the valve cover. And I doubt they'd change things enough to make passing the sniffer test a problem.

Michael Yount said:
There not emissions legal because they change the characteristics of the way the camshaft operates the valves. There are emissions legal camshafts you can put in. But as a practical matter, if you put them in there won't be a visual problem as they are under the valve cover. And I doubt they'd change things enough to make passing the sniffer test a problem.

If you are referring to the Crane 1.7 "Cobra Rockers" (44746-16) they ARE emissions legal. I have a set and they have been granted with a C.A.R.B. E.O. No. which is D-225-17 and if you are referring to the cam then that's another story.

patdow - I think part of the confusion about 'emissions legal' parts stems from the fact that the emissions regs change from time to time, and state to state/region to region. Similarly, many companies offer products that will be listed on one year's catalog as emissions legal with a CARB number, and in the next year's catalog the same part will have the "Not legal for use on any vehicle driven on the street..." disclaimer. It's like putting together a tough jigsaw puzzle trying to figure out just what is emissions legal and what isn't at any given time. I'm quite sure your CARB number reference is/was accurate at some point; I'm also sure that there are references like the one mentioned in Summit's catalog. There's simply not a black and white answer to the question.

I totally agree with you 100%. It is a shame that we buy parts THINKING! that they are emissions friendly since they carry a C.A.R.B. exemtion No. to only find out in a few years that your C.A.R.B exempt parts are "Not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicle" Thats :bs: