Radar Detectors

topless beach

Mar 31, 2005
I know this is an old discussion, but now that I have a new stang I am shopping for a radar detector. I would love to hear actual experiences by owners of detectors as to which ones have saved drivers from the ticket revenue machine. I don't care which one is statistically more sensitive, but rather real world exp. Cordless vs attached; price considerations; false readings, etc

• Sponsors (?)

I have a K-40 intigrated radar with front and rear, and Laser diffuser. I love it has saved my ass new 800 ebay 300-500>
Wont help you if the cop is using instant on radar but its nice to know which way the signal is comming from I LOVE IT!!

Electronic Countermeasures

I think the Passport 8500 x50 is far and away the best bang for the buck. It is a super detector, performance wise it's a toss up with the V1 for $$100 less. I have two of them and my wife and I love them. Can you still get a ticket?-damn right you can but it really improves your odds. Read the comparisons and you'll see the 8500 x50 is a good investment. The cordless models are handy, but not nearly as powerful as the corded models. I'd say, either the Passport or the V1 are excellent pieces but why pay $100 more? Also, both are upgradable. Both also have the "POP" protection. It's your nickle.

get the V1. i wouldnt have my liscence any more if i didnt have it. i was doing 120 up the bronx river, thru yonkers, v1 went off, slowed to down 45, and a gooood ways up the road went by the westchester county pig in his crown vic. the V1 has the arrows. the arrows are what makes the difference!

Z GT said:
In my opinion, the ARROWS MAKE it a better performing device.

i totally agree, i think it was rated higher in the last car and driver? or road and track? radar detector test. before the V1, i had a bel radar detector which sucked, this was about 4 years ago however. i got 3 tickets, 95 in a 55, unsafe lane change, and tailgating, all at once, so out the window the bel radar detector went once the cop left. the other thing i like about the V1 is how it has the logic mode. it doest have a city switch like normal detectors. with the logic turned on, it barely gets any false alarms compared to my old detector, which would contantly go off, even in city mode. the passport auto dims, and the mounting bracked for the windshield is a great design. i dont know about the passport, i have never seen/used it. after i got my liscence all straightened out and clear, i figured i would go with the best.

topless beach said:
V-1 arrows? Is that for radar direction--front or rear?

The V1 tells you where the primary bogey it is tracking is at. Front, rear or side. It is great because you can tell very clearly where the main threat is and when you pass it.

Passport is a great detector. I just really like the arrows so I am sticking with V1.

I have only gotten one ticket with the V1 since '99. I was in the Suburban with my son in the middle seat and a 115lb dog in the back seat. I was crusin' at around 85 when the detector went off. Slammed the breaks down to 65 but let off the brakes when I saw the dog starting to come over the seat.......

65 in a 55 was much better than the alternative.

Officer had a hand-held Yband gun and was shooting from behind a bend in the road.

I have the Passport X50, and aside from going off whenever i drive past any store with a sliding door, its the best thing in the history of ever. (The mute button is helpful too) And the POP protection is crucial too... I haven't had any exp. with the V1 so i'm not gonna say its better, but its saved me too many times to count.

1. V1
2. Bel 985
3. 8500 (x50 or not)

X50's come from the factory with POP turned OFF for a reason. It'll most likely just false a lot with POP turned on, and hardly any police dept's use it yet.

I've used them all and the best bang for the buck is the Bel 985 (or 960 or 940 if you want to spend even less). I got my 985 for $100. You can get a 940 or 960 for less than that (Ebay). Same detecting ability, just less features and filtering ability. The 985 has wicked range and filtering ability. Automute is nice too...the mount sucks (especially compared to the V1) but I can live with it.

We used to have 2 V1's, but I sold them on Ebay before the POP models came out (to get max value from them) and ended up with 2 Bel 985's for a while. My wife really likes the arrows on the V1 (I do too, but the 985 is doing just fine) so I got her one for $250 (Ebay). Gotta keep her happy :D

Seriously, I've tried them ALL...

I can't speak for the Passport vs. V1 frontal sensitivity other than to say that most independent tests show them on equal plain or the V1 being better. It can be safely said that the V1 has much better rearward sensitivity just because of the rear facing antenna. That makes the V1 like having two radar detectors in one.

The sensitivity / range of all of the top models is basically the same...V1, 8500, and the Bel's. I've seen solid k-band hits at 4 miles with all of them...even the cordless S2, even though I felt like it was kinda slow to respond at other times (used one for 2 months, including an 1800 mile trip).

It's really just a matter of how much you want to spend, what features are important to you, and how much filtering ability you want...

Valentine One

My vote is for the V1 - hands down. IMHO
This is not an endorsement of the site, but check out the Radar detector test results at radarbusters.com... V1 is top or equal to top in every category.