Real diff between A9L and A9P???

• Sponsors (?)

Speed_Demon1965 said:
An automatic tranny can not use a manual computer (A9L). The computer has none of the programs it takes for the tranny. I don't think the AOD is fully electronic, but I'm sure something is electronic in them.

The reason an automatic computer (A9P) can be used with a manual tranny is because the manual tranny only needs a vehicle speed sensor to work, nothing else. Which the A9P already has a program to read the VSS.

Actually, I think this whole "automatic vs manual computer" thing is alot more serious on 94-95s because the auto is FULLY electronic. :shrug:

This is correct. According to the Ford Fuel Injection Handbook the pinout for the 5 speed computer and the auto computer are slightly different. If you use a 5 speed comp in a auto the voltage that goes through one of the pins backfeeds and frys the ecu. The auto computer works in the 5 speed because the pinout deadends.

tim_the_toolman said:
This is correct. According to the Ford Fuel Injection Handbook the pinout for the 5 speed computer and the auto computer are slightly different. If you use a 5 speed comp in a auto the voltage that goes through one of the pins backfeeds and frys the ecu. The auto computer works in the 5 speed because the pinout deadends.

Casey4093,

Did you have to change a pin or something?

tmoss said:
Here is a peak at the two timing tables pulled from the TwEECer website bin files for both computers........

Tom,
that looks like an altitude chart for the A9L vs. a base chart for the A9P.
attachment.php

So how close are you to buying a twEECer?

I downloaded everything except the binaries from Tweecers download page(I did download the DA1 binary) and messed with it some last night,now I'm in the market for a cheap laptop :rolleyes:

The speed density (you have to select DA1 at the bottom of the screen on the alpha release version) stuff is not quite as user friendly as the A9L,
plus no signifigant support in the forums,have to go it alone.SD guys are kinda used to that though :)

Yeah, I missed that when I lifted the screens. I'll check the base of the A9L and see if it differs significantly. Not that close to buying one yet. I wanna dyno a second time and see where I'm at at least once, maybe twice after rough tuning with fuel and total timing. It sure would be nice to be able to build a custom spark curve, but $500+ for the provelage is a little steep if I'm running good and making 270 or more RWHP.

The A9L binary I downloaded if funky,base timing is all over the place,just figured I didn't know what the hell I was looking at :rolleyes:
When I bought my 87 it had an old Superchips module between the harness and the ecu,I tried tuning without it by adjusting f/p and timing,I couldn't get near the excellent drivabilty (better part throttle response)as with it installed,so back in it went.
You can look at it and see which circuits the module intercepts, act,ect,tps,egr solenoid,spout,and maybe some others.One of these days I'll get around to hooking up two breakout boxes before and after the module and see just how it alters each signal.
I want a tweecer because I want to build another car in the near future,maybe a 347 or even a 393,with the tweecer it looks like just a matter of entering engine displacement and changing the injector slopes(injector sizes).
even with a mild speed density cam a 393 should be a brute.
And who knows,maybe I'm just the one who will figure out how to get SD to be tolerant of long duration cams( :bs: )

The computer needs a signal from the PRNDL switch to know how to adjust idle depending on what range you are in. If you ran a Manual computer w/ an auto, the engine would most likely stall when you put it in gear because it can't compentsate for the extra load. As said though, you can run an A9P w/ a stick with no problems.

I just put an A9P into my 5spd 87GT with a MAF conversion, and I have had no problems. My mechanic told me the A9p is the better one to get because it has a better timing setup, and it adds slightly more fuel because it's setup for the loads an auto puts on the car. I don't know what of that is true, but my car runs fine with it.

astronut1885 said:
I just put an A9P into my 5spd 87GT with a MAF conversion, and I have had no problems. My mechanic told me the A9p is the better one to get because it has a better timing setup, and it adds slightly more fuel because it's setup for the loads an auto puts on the car. I don't know what of that is true, but my car runs fine with it.

Actually the fuel tables are the same for the most part. Except under low amounts of load where the A9P is leaner than the A9L. There are many differences between the two. The A9P just seems more conservative.

Up top is the A9P and below that is the A9L.

tweecer.jpg

BlackFox5.0 said:
I don't see a Base Timing Table for the A9L in my TwEECer program :shrug:

possibly spark table-sea level?

I just downloaded from the website,I don't know if what I downloaded was the version you get when you buy a tweecer.
I just wanted an idea what the software looked like.

what I downloaded won't start calcon,says"invalid variant type conversion"

Venom4.6 said:
In my first post, I was just quoting what I have read in my Mustang Technical Reference Book and also what I have been told. The book was written by Ford so I'm going by that.

Ford also says to lift your foot from the accelerator pedal prior to disengaging the clutch when changing gears in a manual transmission. :bang: Yeah, right :D

dmay said:
possibly spark table-sea level?

I just downloaded from the website,I don't know if what I downloaded was the version you get when you buy a tweecer.
I just wanted an idea what the software looked like.

what I downloaded won't start calcon,says"invalid variant type conversion"

Did you download Borland First?

tmoss said:
Did you download Borland First?

Yep, i did finally get it to open w/o the error,but I would likely want to speak directly with Mike Glover before I bought a tweecer.

The issue right now is that my car runs great as is, I don't intend to modify it any further.Unless I buy another 5.0 I don't really need it so it's hard to justify spending the money right now as I would need to buy a laptop also.
I need to finish my other projects before starting any others,right after I finish typing this I'm going out to the garage to start welding the rollcage in this:
uni.jpg

My Mercedes Unimog rockcrawler,and my pickup is old and tired,it's gonna need to tow the Mog on a trailer (the trailer I haven't bought yet)so I better get it fixed up,and my house is 180 freakin' years old,need to do some work on it also. Tweecer is low on priority list I guess :shrug:

My car would not idle, and had kind of a surging under part throttle. I was able to fix all of this with TwEECer. I need it for my car to run properly. The only down side to TwEECer is that there is no said instruction manual, or how-to on how to tune with it and such. It's all on the TwEECer forums. The community is huge. There is a lot of info there as well on the members pages. I would also suggest that you get a notebook and takes notes, because it's hard to rememeber what everything does. I take note on the computer and save them, but thats not the safest way should they get lost...

All in all, even with the lack of a manual, the TwEECer was definately worth it to me. And if oyu get one get the R/T model, which has the datalogging. It goes hand in hand with programming. Without it it's not much help.

Chris' car won't run without the tweecer because it's a POS lol. It's a bandaid. "Want a bandaid chris?, How 'bout a lolipop?"
In all honesty, I think the Tweecer is a great tool, especially for modded motors. It helps you get the computer to jive with stuff it wasn't built for, and also helps wring the best performance out of the car. I will be getting one soon after my supercharger.