Removing A/C components, Question

rbonella

Dec 15, 2008
@ home
Sitting at work so I don't have the car in front of me so bare with me...for the guys who have removed the ac components, how are you guys removing the canister on the passenger side firewall? It has hard lines going to it (2 I believe?) One guy said he simply broke the lines off but that seems a little rash. I don't know what the canister is for, or even if you guys remove it when eliminating A/C...trying to clean up the engine bay a bit
Thanks

Also, I was going to post this in TECH but figured there's more traffic in TALK, moderators can move this post if necessary....THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

there is a tool you use to remove them. There are spring locks that hold them together. you can get a cheapy kit at your local auto parts store that as long as you arent brutal with them will last for some time. I have had my set for a few years now and have used them several times on a/c and fuel lines. once you have the lines off there are two bolts I believe located behind the dash you need to remove and the whole canister comes out.

spring lock tool. the ones you are likely to find at the parts store look like this
41-dTrtWTGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There is a hard line (the long one that goes around the intake) that goes into the canister that can not be removed, its made into it. I undid the bolt that holds the bracket that the canister sits in and took it out, canister, bracket hose all as one unit.

That's the accumulator. One line unbokts from evap core, the other line uses spring clips.

All the lines should unclip with spring clips. The only part that you won't be able to remove is the evap core.