Rim weight question: AFS vs Pony

89VertLX

Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Hey there, first time post here. I've been lurking for a while. Just bought a bone-stock 89 LX vert w/ 69K miles on it. I'm thinking about upgrading to either the 16" pony wheels or possibly the AFS Cobra R wheels. (Yeah, I know that everyone and their dawg has these on their car, but I still think they look cool as hell....)

I know that unsprung weight can really affect how a car handles. Has anyone out there has weighed their rims? Just wondering if there is a big difference between the two.

Thanks,

Sam

• Sponsors (?)

The aluminum ones are probably not that much of a weight difference. I have the afs 17" chrome cobras and they are about 150 to 200 pounds for the set. I'm not building a drag car so the weight is not that big of a deal to me. Just get the ones you like the most. Good deal on the car, it's hard to find them any more with that low of miles.

Thanks. I've been looking for a while for a clean, low-mile convertible. Finally found one, and it was only about 15 miles from my house.

I heard back from AFS. They said that the 17x8 are 25 lbs. and the 17x9 are 26 lbs. each. (without a tire mounted...)

Anyone have an idea what a stock pony rim weighs?

Thanks,

Sam in Denver
89 LX 5.0 vert 69K miles (bone stock)
99 SVT Contour