Self Tuners enter here - help is needed.....Here goes Grady

Methodical

Dec 1, 2003
Clinton, MD
Self Tuners, SN Stangers needs your input. We could benefit from your knowledge of self tuning. In order to help other stangers make decisions on self tuners, please provide your input about the self-tuner(s) you use or have used in the past. Below are items to address but is not limited to those items. This is just to get the ball rolling.

1. Cost
2. Optional equipment plus its cost
3. Installation requirements
4. User friendliness
5. Self tuning websites/forums
6. Likes and dislikes
7. What the tuner can and can't do

Thanks. Peace

• Sponsors (?)

After having my PMS for several years I have gotten a pretty good handle on tuning it. The newer upgrade version allows for lots of adjust-ability. Street durability is actually a pretty easy adjustment. There are still things it is capable of doing and tuning that I haven't messed with. I have had mine for 4 years or so I think and I have not had one problem or complaint about it.

I know people complain about cost of the PMS and yes it is pricey. I don't know if it's worth the extra money over the Tweecer or not.

I haven't used any of the data login software you can buy to go with the PMS. Part of the reason I haven't bought it is just because I am not sure I want and need to spend the money. So I don't have much of an opinion on that part!

Easy install. No problems just plug and play.

I don't know about self tuner web sites. I have never really looked for any. I know Rick at AFM is always more than happy to spend the time on the phone with you to try and help resolve any issues you are having. Sometimes it takes a few phone calls to get a hold of him but he's good to deal with.

One really neat thing about the new PMS is all the data is displayed on one main screen. It's easy to read and tells you lots of things about what your car is doing. It also has wide-band capabilities so it will read a/f in place of one of your 02's. The nitrous and boost controllers that are built in look like a neat features that i have never used.

Overall I don't think a person could go wrong with buying a PMS. It is a good tool and works well. I have not done much looking into other self tuners or their features but I am very happy with my PMS

1.TweecerR/T--$550 plus shipping
2. laptop that has usb and windows 98 or newer... I had one already.
3. Download software off the tweecer website and install on eec...the j3 connection is a PITA to get clean to get a good connection.
4. Since the forums and EA have come about it is ALOT easier.
5. http:eectuning.org and eec annalizzer are pure gold.
6. I honestly have no complaints, I also have no exp. with other methods.
7. It does not have a 2step or things that the stock eec does not have...not realy that big of a deal.

I have a question for the PMS users.

What PMS's have idle controle (if any) and what are the diff. in the pre-04 and post 04 pms units? How is the datalog feature and do you have to have a laptop to get the pms to work at its full potent.

blksn955.o said:
I have a question for the PMS users.

What PMS's have idle control (if any) and what are the diff. in the pre-04 and post 04 pms units? How is the data log feature and do you have to have a laptop to get the PMS to work at its full potent.

All of the PMS's have idle controls. The pre 04 model's were a limited by the hand held unit that came with them. There was limited amounts of info displayed on them. The pre 04's only let you adjust fuel and timing in 2000 rpm increments and would only go stand alone at 4000 rpm and above. The post 04's allow for fuel and timing changes at 500 rpm increments and stand alone mode is adjustable from 2000 rpm up with a selected TPS %. You can also select the TPS voltage for both IDLE and WOT. The main screen on the hand held also displays tons more stuff. It gives you load, fuel %, 02's, ACT & coolant temps, Throttle position. I am sure there is more but those are some big ones.

I don't have the data-log on my car yet. Then only thing you need a laptop for with the PMS is the data-logging. If your not doing any data-loggin you don't need a laptop.

1. Paid $700 for my 04 PMS with 3 bar MAP sensor
2. I also bought interACQ from anderson ford motorsport - $279, Wideband a/f meter - $300
3. The only pain with the install was trying to get the huge harnesses behind the passenger side kick panel.
4. This unit is super user friendly. Everything is really easy to do and comes with a great manual to get you started
5. stangtuning.com has been a HUUUUGE help to me
6. I love how I can do all of my tuning myself at the track. I've been able to get my a/f ratio dialed in throughout the powerband from using the graphs and such. I've never had to pay someone to tune my car for me
7. This thing pretty much does everything you'll ever want it to do with the interACQ software

Heck Fire!

Seems like not too many peeps wanna say anything.

I'd like one of the PMS boys who has a h/c/i combo that is making pretty good power give some info on drivability.

Before your PMS what kinds of drivability issues did you have to put up with.

After your tuning efforts, how much progress were you able to make.

Be descriptive please.

Grady

kck6894 said:
All of the PMS's have idle controls. The pre 04 model's were a limited by the hand held unit that came with them. There was limited amounts of info displayed on them. The pre 04's only let you adjust fuel and timing in 2000 rpm increments and would only go stand alone at 4000 rpm and above. The post 04's allow for fuel and timing changes at 500 rpm increments and stand alone mode is adjustable from 2000 rpm up with a selected TPS %. You can also select the TPS voltage for both IDLE and WOT. The main screen on the hand held also displays tons more stuff. It gives you load, fuel %, 02's, ACT & coolant temps, Throttle position. I am sure there is more but those are some big ones.

I don't have the data-log on my car yet. Then only thing you need a laptop for with the PMS is the data-logging. If your not doing any data-loggin you don't need a laptop.

My biggest quetsion is how does it control idle if it does not "take over" the eec until 2,000rpm? Does it play with the TPS to adj. to any issues you may have???

This thread has the very real possibility of being one of if not the best topics for the entire winter...

final5-0 said:
Heck Fire!

I'd like one of the PMS boys who has a h/c/i combo that is making pretty good power give some info on drivability.

Be descriptive please.

Grady

Ask and thou shall recieve :)

I bought my PMS back when I had my 302 h/c/i combo. I was absolutely fed up with the surging/stalling, horrible cold starts where it took 3-4 times to actually get it to stay on and horrible warm starts. With nothing more than adding in some cold compensation fuel and pulling out some cranking fuel I fixed EVERY idle problem. That was the main reason I bought it. I paid $410 shipped to my door and it was worth every penny! I bought an LM 1 wideband with rpm converter and I datalog my a/f with it and make my PMS changes as needed.

I'd say i'm making decent power with my combo. My driveability is fine and i'd say my camshaft is kinda aggressive :) I did manage to get 17mpg once with a good amount of highway driving, around town and some WOT abuse.

final5-0 said:
Heck Fire!

Be descriptive please.

Grady

I never ran my combo without my H//C/I setup. I run 421WHP and daily drive it. I have no problems with tuning it to run on the street.

Maybe we could get Don 95Vert to get involved. :SNSign:

Don

Consider this an :banana: official invite :banana: for you to tell us a bit about what it is like to self tune with the SCT Pro Racer system.

I know you don't wanna spam on the various sites but I don't think anybody would see it that way on this site.

We are just looking for a little info ...... thats all :D

Grady

blksn955.o said:
My biggest quetsion is how does it control idle if it does not "take over" the eec until 2,000rpm? Does it play with the TPS to adj. to any issues you may have???

I am not sure how it does it's adjustments. The PMS doesn't go "stand alone" untill your selected RPM. It is still helping the factory computer when it's not in stand alone it just ins't doing all the work at that point.

I am sure Don knows a lot more than me. I used the SCT Racer on my 03 GT when I had the blower on it. It worked wonders on my Mass Air transfer function. I had some idle and drivability problems after the bullitt intake and it handled them too. It was not so great handling my auto transmission, WOT shifts were real guessing game. That is why I am looking to change tuning software on my 94. I put it on for the new motor with the H/C/I to get it to idle and made some changes that helped, but pulling the chip, reburning, putting the chip back on just to find out you went the wrong way is a pain. They have a flashing unit, but I hear it takes longer to load a tune.

Scott