Shift points on stock rear & 5.0

admstng

Dec 12, 2003
Well, i might have 373's, gotta get the jack out.

@ what RPM is best to shift in each gear?

as of right now i'm not passing 5K to much. i tend to feel a slight loss of power past 5K then i shift.. any input is appriciated. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have an aod.I shift into second at 5500,and the tranny shifts into 3rd at 5100.My motor is mostly stock.I just put in a screamin demon ign. system and it seems to pull to 5500 with no problem.Im installing the rev. gov. that I left out when I first got my trans-go shift kit put in.this will hold the shifts to 5600,when the shifter is in D.

willys1, I am thinking since you have one less gear than us manual guys do that you need to wind each one a little more than we do!! I just know that when I go all the way to the red line I do loose some time!! It does make a lot more noise though!

Yeah,I hear people say the same thing,but I also hear people say 5500 is the best shift point.I guess its up to the driver,and what kind of boltons.Like I said my motor is basically stock.I do have a screamin demon ign. system.When it had the stock coil,it ran out of juice at 5200!! But now it pulls all the way to 5500.The stock motor has a lot of potentcial with just bolt ons!

i would like to know also cause at my local 1/8th mile im only runnin 9 flats with 2.1-2.3 0-60ft. i trap at 79.8mph on just about every run, and i shift at like 5500 maybe a little more in first. I seen that jason 302 is runnin a mid 8, but it was still my first time running down the track... hopefully after i get rebuilt from my little "accident" i'll be able to dip down into those times.....

willys1 said:
Yeah,I hear people say the same thing,but I also hear people say 5500 is the best shift point.I guess its up to the driver,and what kind of boltons.Like I said my motor is basically stock.I do have a screamin demon ign. system.When it had the stock coil,it ran out of juice at 5200!! But now it pulls all the way to 5500.The stock motor has a lot of potentcial with just bolt ons!

actually the stock motor doesnt have that much potential with just boltons unless your talking about bolting on heads.

5900 is really high though the stock tach may be off a bit. I shift @ 6200 and thats with h/i/c + all the boltons. mine stock tach is only off by about 50-100 from 1200-6250. (shows about 6300-6350 vs. 6250 on autometer).

ok heres what i did to achieve a [email protected] w/ a 1.88 60ft.

4000 RPM launch on worn out MT 26x10.5 sportsmans w/ only right rear spinning (worn out t-lok)
1st-2nd 5500 RPM
2nd-3rd 5300 RPM
3rd-4th 5100 RPM

if i went to the track with slicks that could actually hook, i'm sure i could hit some 13.4's

try what i suggested, also cleanLX who went 12.96@104 in a stocker notch used those shift points when he had 3.73s and went low 13s w/ em.

just my 2 cents