Sketchy Headswap w/ CCM

Paul Perreca

Mar 30, 2005
320 HorsePower
All New Parts! Ford roller cam block, GT-40P heads with Manley valves, B-303 or E-303 cam, double roller timing chain, Ford roller lifters, hypereutectic pistons, high volume oil pump, graphite head gaskets, rockers. Add 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers for $179. Add Probe forged pistons for $250. Call for other upgrade options and shipping quotes.
I called today and asked if i could get the motor w/ twisted wedge heads, and they gave me a whole shpeel about it throwin off the balance of the engine because the whole engine is calibrated to that gt 40 set of heads -
NOW- this makes some sort of sense, but if a stock 5.0 is calibrated for stock heads, than why do you not have to recalibrate the whole motor when you put on an aftermarket set of heads (recalibrate meaning balancing and whatever) -
Are they just tellin me this to make more money, and should i just get it w/ the gt 40 heads, sell the gt 40 heads as new and get twisted wedges and just install them back onto the crate motor, or should I just LEAVE the crate motor the way they designed it - which isnt a bad idea i know, but i just want the TF heads so much more - plus i heard the GT-40P are beat anyway - dont know why, just heard it -

So, are they blowing smoke up my ass or are tehy doing it for the best for me? thanks guys,
PauL PerrecA

• Sponsors (?)

My guess.

They do not want to pay one of their employees to remove the heads which are already installed. They probably have several motors assembled and on the shelf that they built at the same time to reduce assembly cost. If they have to go back and remove components they will eat up their profit quickly.
I always feel like I am being ripped off when businesses do things like this. If they just said that the motors would only be sold as advertised that would be fine. Instead they try to tell the customer some crap about calibration. What???
In CCM defense I have never heard anything bad about the quality of their work.
My.02

yea ive never heard a bad thing about them, but i couldnt beleive when i called and they gave me some bullshiit to think about - i think ill just get the motor from them, and switch the heads myself - and sell off the GT-40Ps, and why are gt40p's no good by the way ....

GT40P heads are a little older and yes they are iron. (think late model explorer w/ the 5 liter) They dont breathe as well as the twistys, however they do have the relocated spark and they make really high compression. It all depends on what you want Paul. Laters.

darthcual said:
GT40P heads are a little older and yes they are iron. (think late model explorer w/ the 5 liter) They dont breathe as well as the twistys, however they do have the relocated spark and they make really high compression. It all depends on what you want Paul. Laters.
The GT40P's are 49 lbs each. I don't know the exact specs off the top and I don't have time to research it, but I don't think they make really high compression out of the box. My motor was supposed to be 8.8:1 w/ the GT40P's (the guy I bought the car from could have lied, however). You could make higher compression if you had them milled though. And Yes, the spark plugs are different than stock, so you would benefit by having the headers made especially for the P's (otherwise you might have to pull the headers to change the plugs).

i aint about ot pull the headers everytime i wanna change the plugs lol - ill find out who this AL guy is and see if he has any twisted wedges - twisteds are how much lighter than the gt 40's?\
Paul Perreca

Paul Perreca said:
I called today and asked if i could get the motor w/ twisted wedge heads, and they gave me a whole shpeel about it throwin off the balance of the engine because the whole engine is calibrated to that gt 40 set of heads -
PauL PerrecA

The engine is balanced at the crank. The engine balance has nothing at all to do with the heads. They just don't want to do the extra work. You cannot "calibrate" an engine to certain heads. Yes you can put in different pistons that would allow more compression, but that would not change the way the heads are setup.

After that comment they gave you I would look elsewhere...

Just my opinion though.

mackey said:
The engine is balanced at the crank. The engine balance has nothing at all to do with the heads. They just don't want to do the extra work. You cannot "calibrate" an engine to certain heads. Yes you can put in different pistons that would allow more compression, but that would not change the way the heads are setup.

After that comment they gave you I would look elsewhere...

Just my opinion though.

In the defense of CCM, what they are trying to express (albeit inappropriately) with the word "Calibrated", is that other heads are not ideally suited for the rest of this engines components. It is very believable that other aftermarket, similarly prepped heads will not perform as well on this block.
I would still look for aftermarket Al heads though.

vristang said:
In the defense of CCM, what they are trying to express (albeit inappropriately) with the word "Calibrated", is that other heads are not ideally suited for the rest of this engines components. It is very believable that other aftermarket, similarly prepped heads will not perform as well on this block.
I would still look for aftermarket Al heads though.

The only other engine component is the cam that would really be affected. And with that cam (E) I have seen people put down over 300 at the rear wheels with the twisted wedge heads. It doesn't include an intake.