Spec clutches suck (more inside: pics)

DARK-5.0

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Leawood, KS
Here is the pic of my spec stage 1 with about 5,000 miles on it. Street driving to work and back and 4 runs down the track. Pretty impressive huh. They'll definitely be getting a call from me in the morning. Luckily I was waiting to pull into my driveway when it happened so I didn't have to go too far. Just had my neighbor tow me into my driveway. I'm so pissed off right now. I know its no from power. Its supposedly rated at 400hp and we all know I'm not even close to that. So much for their high torque sprung hub. Total bull@&^#. DON"T BUY FROM SPEC!!

The question is now. Who should I go with. I was thinking a dual friction from Centerforce. Any complaints with them? Keep in mind a power adder might be in the near future.

DSCN0032.jpg

Jeremy

Attachments

• DSCN0032.jpg
    DSCN0032.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Sponsors (?)

I ran a Spec stage 2 for 3 years and now a Stage 3+...been great

Sorry you def had failure, I'm sure Spec will take care of you if you go that route...good luck

Its no secret that I don't like spec clutches. Whne I was looking for my latest clutch I searched until the search button pleaded for mercy and I talked with everyone I could about the subject. In the end I did end up getting a "Kustom" clutch from Walt at Pro Motion and so far I have NOTHING bad to say about it. Its performed flawlessly and delivered on everything I wanted from it. Its not graby, it doesn't chatter, the pedal effort isn't super stiff, and it'll hold a TON of power. I don't hjave their website handy but I and Ernan (Slow50) have both recently put up links to their site.

That's a pretty wild failure BTW. I hope you were not turning a lot of RPM's when that let go.

I have the Contact Information for you. 954-771-5575 is their Number teld them Joel gave you the number they will take good care of you ask for June. Walt is usually busy but she will get you in touch with him pretty quickly.

:OT: I have A KC clutch with a McCloud Dual Friction from promotion that can work if you want to save up for a heavier clutch down the road. I put it on my car for a couple 1K miles and park the car for the new motor. PM me if your interested....But Promotion is the way to go for a good setup..

i had that spec stage 48 billion in the gray car--hated it.

got a king cobra in the black one and like it, just not as much as i liked the stock clutch.

with the ol t5 i wouldn't go too aggresive, that hybrid pro motion sounds like the hot ticket.

I have had a spec 1 on my car with multiple track visits for around 10k miles. Its not a bad clutch i dont hate it, the pedal effort is higher than stock and at times it is a little off and on. Its been fine so far. When i switch i might not go with spec again, but i have no real complaints about my Spec 1.

I've never ran a CF dual friction in my Stangs (yet) ... but I've ran them in a couple of other vehicles and they are AWESOME.

1.) 827 FWHP 454 Chevelle with Muncie-21 (actually my uncle's car).

2.) 300+ FWHP Ranger (Cobra engine) with T-45.

3.) 278 rwhp ... 328 rwtq Ranger (blown V6) with M50D-R1.

The CF was perfect in those 3 vehicles. Come time to get a new clutch for my Stang ... that's what I'll be trying out.