Spoiler or no Spoiler...?

• Sponsors (?)

Huh?

Nice post, rhumbline!

texaco said:
With....

the current spoilers on the stangs are so refined and classy looking that anyone who could ever label them ricey is an idiot.

And for the "mature look" guys, if you want that get a family sedan, I want a car that looks as aggressive as it performs.

I never said they were ricey, but they are along the same lines - for looks primarily - no function!

And as far as 'mature', I didn't mean it in the sense that you think - I simply meant that this design is very well done and developed much further than its predecessor(s), and can stand alone without stylistic garbage propping it up. And I already have the family sedan('03 330i 6-spd).

Ok, you can have the spoiler - just no fake scoops... :D

It's a matter of taste and a person's sense of what "style" is. How many out-of-shape guys do you see that plaster tattoos all over their arms, and wear sunglasses 24-7, just to look tough, with the excuse "if I'm going to BE tough I gotta LOOK tough", and they look in the mirror each day and think they are God's gift to style, and imposing looking. Yeah, sure, whatever :rolleyes: Then there's the one guy in the bar who has no tattoos, doesn't feel the NEED for any because he's comfortable in his own skin, wears unassuming clothes, but you can tell he's packing alot of power, and could rip the head off of any of those tatty posers at the drop of a hat. But he's cool and confident, he has no need to advertise and be a flake. I think that scenario often is a good analogy to car styling. There's a fine line with styling accessories, where you stop looking tough, and you start to look like a flippin poser, horendously insecure, starving for attention and looks, dressed for a gunfight but only prepared for a slap-fight. That's the illness of the ricer, slapping spoilers and scoops and ground effects on the car in the hopes that the IMAGE detracts people away from the fact that he's piloting his mom's ex-grocery-getter Honda that was handed down to him 'cause that's all he could afford insurance on. That's why when I see all the cries for more boy-racer stuff to be attached to what is just a 300 h.p. GT, that will be sedate compared to the higher performance models yet to come, and realize that I'm gonna see alot of '05 GT's out there, aftermarket spoilered and scooped to the hilt, and looking damn cheesy as they get boinked by a 4-door Subaru with an adjustable wastegate. Not that the rear spoiler is over the line on the GT, it's not. But I think it's wrong to think those of us who DON'T want the spoiler are family sedan type drivers. No no no, you totally misunderstand. We just don't feel the need to have our car be a rolling equivalent to a puffed-out birdchest.

green_back.jpg

wingless_green.jpg

wingless_green_bullitt.jpg

I'm still undecided, but the wingless does rock. Hope this helps some of you.

RICKS said:
It's a matter of taste and a person's sense of what "style" is. How many out-of-shape guys do you see that plaster tattoos all over their arms, and wear sunglasses 24-7, just to look tough, with the excuse "if I'm going to BE tough I gotta LOOK tough", and they look in the mirror each day and think they are God's gift to style, and imposing looking. Yeah, sure, whatever :rolleyes: Then there's the one guy in the bar who has no tattoos, doesn't feel the NEED for any because he's comfortable in his own skin, wears unassuming clothes, but you can tell he's packing alot of power, and could rip the head off of any of those tatty posers at the drop of a hat. But he's cool and confident, he has no need to advertise and be a flake. I think that scenario often is a good analogy to car styling. There's a fine line with styling accessories, where you stop looking tough, and you start to look like a flippin poser, horendously insecure, starving for attention and looks, dressed for a gunfight but only prepared for a slap-fight. That's the illness of the ricer, slapping spoilers and scoops and ground effects on the car in the hopes that the IMAGE detracts people away from the fact that he's piloting his mom's ex-grocery-getter Honda that was handed down to him 'cause that's all he could afford insurance on. That's why when I see all the cries for more boy-racer stuff to be attached to what is just a 300 h.p. GT, that will be sedate compared to the higher performance models yet to come, and realize that I'm gonna see alot of '05 GT's out there, aftermarket spoilered and scooped to the hilt, and looking damn cheesy as they get boinked by a 4-door Subaru with an adjustable wastegate. Not that the rear spoiler is over the line on the GT, it's not. But I think it's wrong to think those of us who DON'T want the spoiler are family sedan type drivers. No no no, you totally misunderstand. We just don't feel the need to have our car be a rolling equivalent to a puffed-out birdchest.

Excellent post, and a great analogy. :hail2: My sentiments exactly! Got to watch out for those quiet types - I guess that's why I have always liked the 'sleeper' approach to car building.

rhumbline said:
It might be a different matter if they actually contributed something substantive in terms of actual performance, but I'll bet my tuna sandwich that the spoiler on the '05, as with 99% of spoilers on current cars, contributes nothing but weight (excepting all the coin it sucks out of your wallet on purchase day) and drag. It is purely a codpiece masquerading as an actual performance enhancement -- more akin to stuffing a bra or slipping a banana under ones Jocky's -- might impress the gullible but not those more discerning that know better.

While I personally think spoilers are up to the individual. I think the argument of them adding weight. Is just a little on the obsessive side. I took mine off. And it was light enough that I doubt it adds enough weight to the car. To throw off any kind of performance. Drag on the other hand may be a different argument.
I would rather not have the spoiler. Simply because it doesn't look like it belongs on the 05. I will be putting a ducktail spoiler on it.