Spring ride height and suspension mods?

What is the best springs (1 to 1.5 inch drop) to get? I have slowly been working on my stang's performance and doing small mods here and there. I have done a lot on the motor but now am thinking about doing some supension mods.

Basicly I want the car to handle better and corner better (pushed it to the limit the other day on a sweeping highway on ramp and almost ended up ass first in the ditch), would springs help? Also I have heard taking weight out of the car would help as well? What can I remove, I have been thinking of taking out the stock fog light big metal bracket in the front, anything else? Also by adding a strut tower brace, would that help handling?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First, what is your priority?? Looks or handling?

For handling:

For handling do NOT go below ~3/4" -> 1".
For handling your ride will be harsher - PERIOD!
For handling you must match the strut rate to the spring rate.
For handling you need a CC plate for any drop.
For handling you need a bumpsteer kit with any drop.
For handling, if you drop the car more than 1" without substantial k-frame and rear suspension mods, BY LAW, to be allowed on an OT/CT you MUST add at least 50 stickers to your car. :)

Consider that the 95 Cobra R was a race only car, sold only to race teams. It was designed soley for the track Circle Track. Street comfort and ride were not important. It had no radio, no AC, and so on. It was a limited edition that Ford produced solely for the tracks. It was to show of the sn95 Stangs. So, Ford keep the stock k-frame and LCAs. But, everything else was up for change. Ford also had top Ford chassis engineers and a huge engineering budget for that car. And, gee, guess what! The 95 Cobra R is not lowered more than 1".

Now, let's see what Ford did for Stangs that were going to be on the street, but were meant to be the best handling Stang that they could have for the street. This was to compete against the Vette and other sports cars around the year 2000. Yes, we have the Mach1 (~1/2" drop) and Bullitt (~3/4" drop) cars.

So, if you want handling, don't go with a drop more than ~3/4" -> ~1". Otherwise, the Center of Gravity, bumpsteer, etc get very screwed up. Also, you must go with a higher rate spring.

So... the best thing for most people to do is to but a Bullitt Package (springs and struts). Then, they should also get CC plates and a bumpsteer kit (I say get MM only!). IMHO, from my own experience, I can say that not getting the CC plates right away is stupid! You end up getting uneven tire wear, you wear down you $$$ tires faster, and you get poorer handling. Plus, when you finally put on the CC plates, you end up spending $70+ dollars more for an alignment. And, it's similar for the bump-steer kit.

I have two notchbacks. One with stock 4cyl springs and a 5.0L engine. Sits nice in the front, it's a little high in the rear sitting at 27-1/2 inches.

My other car has Steeda Sport Springs, and sit lower than my 91 with the 4cyl stockers in the front and it sits lower in the rear sitting at 26 inches.

As far as handling, the 81 will out handle my 91 any day. But the ride......My 91 is way more comfortable while cruising, and hitting bumps. The ride is a little bit more rough with the Steeda Sport Springs.