Steel Vs. Fiberglass Cowl Hoods

That looks really nice. You are satisfied with the fit?

Yeah, I actually really do like it. I'm still in rental house rehab hell so my project has been on the back burner for a while, but other than letting it bake in the sun for a few days before priming it, I don't recall any issues.

Here are a few more pictures of it...

image_zps1f1cmgu7-jpg.548107.jpg

and near the cowl vent
image_zps5qukbyks-jpg.548125.jpg

It's a little pricier these days than when I bought it. I got mine for $400 + shipping in 2012 I think? It was listed at $500, they had a 20% off discount. Shipping these things is not all that cheap, though, so I was back over $500 after I shipped.

If you aren't in a huge hurry, you might see if they have any black friday discounts coming up. I would imagine at $615 + Shipping you will be in the 700-750 range.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I’m not in a hurry at all actually. Can’t even get it painted until the spring, but I’d like to have everything ready for the painter.

As of now I’m torn between the cervinis heat extractor hood, cervinis ram air hood, your HO hood, and I’ve also found a stock style steel replacement from national parts depot. No real reviews on the NPD hood, other than a few folks saying their sheet metal parts are usually decent. No idea what I want to do.

cervinis ram air hood

Can't go wrong with that one, either! I've got that on my '91 GT. Pic is a little crazy but you get the idea...
dscf2390-jpg.120981.jpg

I like the ram air hood. It makes the front end a little beefier looking, but as I've gotten older I tend to like the sleeker look of the stock hood. Cervini's quality is excellent just like HO Fibertrends.

There is nothing wrong with a glass hood and the factory latch if you don’t buy a junk hood. The Cervinis stuff has a finished underside and the hardware built into the hood is plenty sturdy. Other than losing a few pounds you’d never know the difference.

That said, if weight is of no concern to you, the steel cowls seem to have a better fit out of the box than fiberglass stuff does.

Now that you mention it, my fiberglass hood actually fit better than the stock hood. Once I lined up the fenders for the panel gap on the hood, they lined up with the doors better.

Kurt

I run a cervini's 1.5 cowl hood.
It's not very light and has the catch.
I think other issues that arise from using a cheap hood with no catch is that they are extremely light and flexible, rumor has it that some flex so much under high speed that they can come unhooked.

I think hoods are over rated. If it wasn't so much trouble, i'd go back to the stock hood.
Thankfully I only bought the 1.5, I think if it were more, i'd really be hating it.
Can I see a pic of your 1.5" hood? That is the size I'm considering