STUPID QUESTION: When redesign?

ctbaker

Jan 26, 2004
California
Hi,

I want to get a 2nd gen of the latest mustang. Any guess on what model year the first "update" will occur to the mustang? I figure I'll probably get a HP boost and some minor updates from the original release. I know this is a strange/stupid question but I find out that I think about these kinds of things way too much.

Thanks!
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

There is some discussion about some visual changes (for the '06) but I haven't heard anything about any performance changes yet. Do a google search for 2006 mustang and you'll see the changes, now if they actually produce that or not... :shrug:

according to the Motor Trend(the Charger vs. Mustang GT)article that is out now, Ford is going to introduce a new "BULLITT" in the freshened version of the Mustang in 2-3 years. So, about every 4 years.

I believe MT said '08, which sounds about right...but I guess it could be as early as '07 or possibly as late as '09. Not a big difference, probably just some minor changes to the front clip and rear...and maybe a couple interior changes. *I dunno about any special editions like a Bullitt, Mach or Boss (what they're going to look like, have under the hood or what year they'll be released).

Here's some info on Mustangs from 05 to 07 and historical stuff also:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/index.htm

I haven't read anything about a next-gen of the new Mustang. Anyway, why re-design it? To keep customers interested? Ford can do that with special-edition Mustangs (GT500, Boss, Mach, etc). Much easier/better/cheaper to offer SE versions rather than do a major re-design. Besides, I think Ford got the Mustang right for '05. So, if I had to guess, I'd say a next-gen Mustang is 6+ years away.

As we already know, there are essentually no changes to the 06 other than than 18" wheel / tire options for the GT and the Pony Package for the V6.

Rumors are that both the GT and the V6 will get a HP boost for the 07 model year (~ 20 HP for both).

HTT has said in several interviews that it will be 4 - 5 years before there will be any significant styling changes and he has hinted that there will be not be a major rework of the Mustang for 6 to 10 years.

Ahh.. thanks 351CJ. You had the info I was looking for. I am going to wait a year and order a 2007 model and hope for the 20HP boost.

Look out for my 69 Mustang up for sale soon to make room for the 2007!

the V6 is getting a bit of a face lift in 06 with the bullet wheels as an option and a fog light option with the coralled pony and some tribar pony badges on the side as well as some suspension changes as an option

the first Se will be the California Special in early 07 right before the Cobra (rumored to have a hood scoop and some other changes to its looks)

then the cobra will follow shortly after

then as stated in car and driver the second SE will be (rumored) the bullitt in 08.

Usually the run is a 4-5 year run before giving it a complete makeover using the same platform...I would personally love to see very minor changes but perhaps some hips to the Cpillar and extending the roofline all the way back to complete the fastback look